Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1997 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 I6 crank sensor

More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #27980 by brainofknowledge
is my crank sensor going bad. this is what my scope meter shows. some 3 lines some half line some are four lines like they are suppose to be. my jeep has a stalling problem an has a little miss. here are some photographs of what they look like. ]
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by brainofknowledge. Reason: change things add engine size

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28037 by Tyler
What you're seeing there could be a sampling rate issue. As in, the scope you're using isn't quite fast enough to pick up every pulse of the crank sensor. If possible, change the time base to something faster. Maybe 5ms/div.

If the missing pulses remain, then there's still other possibilities. Damage to the flexplate is one, usually due to someone using the crank sensor windows as pry points to turn the engine over while removing/installing torque converter bolts. This'll usually result in a waveform glitch that's repeatable.

Air gap is another, especially if the crank sensor has been removed and installed recently.

Lastly, weird as it sounds, but a malfunctioning alternator can cause glitches in the crank sensor waveform. :silly: Easiest way to eliminate this is to disconnect the alternator and recheck the waveform.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28072 by Noah
I second a sample rate issue with the scope. Even the Verus shows a choppy waveform on these sensors until your get down into a smaller time base, ie zoomed in.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 1 week ago #28128 by brainofknowledge
just to give you some more info. I swap my motor like 4-5 years ago. never had a problem with it stalling till now. I even pulled my crank sensor before ever pulling the engine. so I did not break it from separating the engine from the bellhousing. I did not use the flex plate to rotate the engine to remove the torque convertor bolts. I had someone rotate the engine by using the crankshaft pulley bolt. I have never touched this sensor since putting the engine in. if I increase my time base on my scope its hard to read the signal. on another note I do get some that are four but most are 3. I even increased my time base to 5ms then I rev the engine an I still got mostly 3 lines. my frequency even went up when I rev the engine. so my scope saw that the engine speed did change that's what I am thinking. "hope this info help"
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by brainofknowledge. Reason: add

More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #28130 by brainofknowledge
so do you think a verus pro d10 that is updated to 17.2 has new battery is worth $1900
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by brainofknowledge. Reason: add

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #28134 by juergen.scholl

brainofknowledge wrote: so do you think a verus pro d10 that is updated to 17.2 has new battery is worth $1900

Not sure if I get this right ...but you are actually asking if this verus is worth it for you?

If so, then nobody can answer this question but YOU. It depends on YOUR needs and expectations. What will YOU use it for other than scoping your jeep's crank sensor. Do you work on other cars? A lot of questions only YOU know the answer to: after all it's your responsibility.

I can throw in some thoughts and facts that make a VERUS as the one you describe well worth the money, for me:

It`s a great scanner and one of the best automotive scopes I know of, The graphing capabilities are awesome, this goes for data pids as well as multimeter function. It possesses very good recording capabilities,The mentioned software version is not that old and still updateable if someone wanted to. If it includes the european software even better. The prize sounds fair for a machine in decent conditions.

Only thing you have to think about is wether it's worth it for you.:)

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by juergen.scholl. Reason: spelling

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28157 by brainofknowledge
don't know if it has European software it does come with European connector an a bunch of other connectors. I would use it to help friends an family. "yea I'm a nice guy" they only have cars like Ford, Chevy, Dodge, mostly chevy maybe Volkswagen, Hyundai, Honda. yes I know Volkswagen is European. my concerns with the verus is the hard drive failing. I see people cloning them is that possible. so you can have a back up hard drive. "Thanks"

More
5 years 5 days ago #28562 by brainofknowledge

brainofknowledge wrote: is my crank sensor going bad. this is what my scope meter shows. some 3 lines some half line some are four lines like they are suppose to be. my jeep has a stalling problem an has a little miss. here are some photographs of what they look like. ]

crank position sensor was bad after all. my scope was able to see it was bad. when I replaced it with a duralast crank position sensor my scope was able to show groups of 4. "problem fixed"
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 1 day ago #28702 by overdrive138
Is it stalling at idle? Iac valves are commom and go bad all the time on these. injectors also malfunction from the heat of the exhaust manifold. Also check the wiring harness right behind the valve cover usually rubs and shorts wires in that location.

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds