Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Lighting hyper flash issues

More
5 years 1 month ago #27901 by Chuck69
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 with 5.9 Cummins. When the truck is running, any lights that are on, dash, interior, exterior will hyper flash. I have even added extra grounds to the batteries, voltage regulator, and alternator. The turn signal bulbs operate as they should, as do high and low beam . Voltage runs a bit high, but within parameters. Any diag help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27909 by cheryl hartkorn
you mean the lights flicker? like the headlights and dash lights? sounds like a bad alternator. you could check the ac ripple in the system. or id just try disconnecting the alternator connector and see if it quits whileits running
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #27920 by Chuck69
Replied by Chuck69 on topic Lighting hyper flash issues
Thanks for the reply. I checked for voltage drop and AC ripple, all lower than max allowed. I have been instructed to not disconnect the alternator when running as it could damage computers.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Chuck69. Reason: reply to test suggestions.

More
5 years 1 month ago #28022 by Andy.MacFadyen
As Cherly's answer it also sounds like a bad alternator to me but checking the the main battery connections at the alternator would also be on the cards. It is the kind of issue where an oscilloscope is handy but without one it is really down to visual inspection and as a last resort parts swapping.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chuck69

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds