Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

FIXED Crank no start, no spark

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #3532 by jonathandean
Hi everyone, over here in the UK I have a 2008 peugeot 207 1.4 VTI, it came to me having had a bit of engine work, new headgasket and new timing chain. The car ran previously to this work,it literally drove into the garage. Now it wont start :(

It cranks over and has compression, the fuel injectors squirt fuel, and during cranking the coils have power, by the way it has 4 separate, coil on plugs. What seems to be missing is control over the coils?

Initially I thought no coil control so the timing was off and it was a cam/crank problem ,it has had a new cam chain, but the timing lines up and there is never a spark,not even a late one?

I have a bi directional scanner and this can command each coil to spark, but I get the same result, power to the coil, nothing on the control wire and no spark?

As the fuel injectors fire I am thinking that the timing inputs are there?
As the coil won't fire even when being controlled via the scanner does this move me towards the PCM as a fault? Also does this rule out an input problem, as the coil won't fire even when told to be the scanner?

Is there a way for my to add a bypass control to the coil to try to actually get a spark?
Oh by the way, there are no fault codes stored.
It does have variable cam timing on both the inlet and exhaust, I am not sure if this could interfere with spark being produced?

Sorry this is a bit of a long story, thanks in advance Jonathan
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by jonathandean. Reason: Fixed car

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3535 by Landroverman1958
Has in got variable valve timing,the electronic motor sticks if it has on at the rear nearside of the head,twin cam?two camsenors? I had a Peugeot with no spark condition,it was a stuck valve timing motor,hth

More
7 years 5 months ago #3537 by jonathandean
Hi, Thanks for your input, yes it has got variable valve timing on both cams, with two cam sensors, is the motor you refer to on the rear of the head passenger side of the car? Or do you mean the two solenoids front and rear of the head at the cam chain end?

Thanks again
Jonathan

More
7 years 5 months ago #3538 by Landroverman1958
Hi,yes that's where the motor is,@ the back corner of the head,symptoms are crank no start,the vvt motor sets it's position each time the key is cycled,

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3541 by borntoroll
Replied by borntoroll on topic Crank no start, no spark
Do you get signals on all the cam and crank sensors? Those with hall sensors must have a pulse from 0 volts (sometimes it doen't pull all the way to 0) to something like 5v or battery voltage.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by borntoroll.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3542 by Landroverman1958
The car I looked at,the cam sensors were hall effect,they were 10volt to zero,voltage wise as far as I remember,square wave type,crk was square wave to,

More
7 years 5 months ago #3544 by jonathandean
Thanks again for your time to reply, sorry about my late reply, just had to walk the dog!
Yes I do get signals from both cam and crank sensors, my real worry is that when I command the coils to fire via my scan tool, I still don't get spark?

Thanks again
Jonathan

More
7 years 5 months ago #3546 by Landroverman1958
Any power to the coils?

More
7 years 5 months ago #3547 by jonathandean
Yes,power to the coils when cranking the engine

More
7 years 5 months ago #3556 by ImBack218
Replied by ImBack218 on topic Crank no start, no spark
Are you able to simulate the coil control signals with an LED test light connected to battery positive, and look for a spark?

More
7 years 5 months ago #3558 by Landroverman1958
How many wires on the coils?there should be a power earth and control,plus if 4 wires a feed back to ecu to report firing/ non firing event,

More
7 years 5 months ago #3559 by jonathandean
Thanks for reading my post, I have tried to re create a spark like you suggest, but I had no luck doing it, perhaps I was doing it wrong, here is what I did, I simply powered the coil via the scan tool, as there is no power to the coil with just the key and I am here alone so I couldn't crank it.
Then I touched the test light,connected to positive to the control terminal of the coil,but nothing happened :( I didnt suspect bad coils because I was told the car drove before the engine work
Thanks for your time
Jonathan

More
7 years 5 months ago #3560 by jonathandean
Hi, There are 3 wires, power,ground and control

More
7 years 5 months ago #3564 by matt.white
Replied by matt.white on topic Crank no start, no spark
You need an incandescent test light to do that test. It's very unlikely all the coils died at once though. Is there no fault codes at all? It's not as simple as an earth point left off?
I have no French car experience sorry.
Do you have access to a scope to check cam and crank signal? Or can you see them in your data pids?

More
7 years 5 months ago #3565 by jonathandean
Thanks for your input, yes It does seem like an earth point or some connection has been left off, that is the only explanation I can give as to why the coils cannot be turned on, It would be very unlikely for all coils to fail at once. I didn't do the engine work on the car so I am unsure of where the earth points are, I have had a good look over the engine bay and there are no wires hanging and all the earth points I can see are tight. There are both cam and crank signals there and the fuel injectors fire, so I am assuming the correct inputs are there.
No fault codes at all.I can create codes by unplugging things so I do have correct communication with the ECU.
The RPM PID does change during cranking

More
7 years 5 months ago #3573 by borntoroll
I'm confused. Did you verify powers and grounds for the coils with some load (incandescent test-light 5w at least) and did you verify you don't lose it while cranking?
Did you verify with a test light flickering or a scope the control wire? Did you verify the cam\crank signals are from 0 (zero is very important) to something volt. Just to summarize. Thanks.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3575 by Landroverman1958
your very lucky that you don,t have to cope with french cars,,,,,,,

More
7 years 5 months ago #3579 by jonathandean
Hi borntoroll, Thanks for your input, I really hope to get this problem sorted, I have checked the power and ground is there during cranking but only by back probing the coil connector, yes the cam and crank sensor signal both go to 0v, the problem seems to be there is no control over the coil and I have been unable to make the coil fire either by touching the control wire with a 12v test light, and bi directional control over the coils fail to make them fire, but the injectors do fire, doesn't that rule out an input problem to the PCM?

Remember the car drove into the garage before the engine work so it would be unlikely that all 4 coils have failed, is it likely the ecu is at fault?

Thanks for every ones help I really appreciate every bodies thoughts and ideas ;)

Jonathan

More
7 years 5 months ago #3584 by borntoroll
So if you have power and ground you should be able to bypass the pcm with incandescent testlight and get a spark. Check the control wire for short to ground.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3587 by jonathandean
Thanks, I have tried to do the bypass test but without success. I am on my own so I can't crank it and use a test light, I have tried to power the coil via a scan tool and then use the test light, one end bat + the other end on the control wire to the coil, but no spark. What is the best way to check the control wire for a short to ground?

Thanks again for your help, the electronic side of cars is not my strongest point, I learn't on a Morris Minor!

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds