ScannerDanner Premium Customer Support (15 Mar 2019)

Please add This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as a contact in your email system. I am having a very hard time communicating with some of you because my reply messages are ending up in your spam folder! So please check your spam folders too!

× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1992 Cadillac Deville 122,700 miles , EGR & EGR Solenoid Troubleshooting

• Dtnel
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 Mar 2019 07:12 #27805 by Dtnel
This Deville has the 4.9 Engine, it's not the Northstar engine.

Runs rough the more you accelerate according to my friend who's been driving it as it's his older mother's car a shop put all new injectors in recently but I don't get their reasoning except either $$$ or the parts cannon as I was looking at it less than 5 minutes and noticed the EGR and EGR solenoid appeared to have had a line in the past that went to them, maybe from the solenoid to the valve?

On these engines is there a way to use a vacuum pump to test the EGR valve? I haven't did EGR work thus far but I do have a vacuum pump with gauge, multimeter and labscope. I'm sure there's got to be a way to check the electrical on the solenoid and check the EGR valve test wise and visual inspection?

The guy did say there's a strong odor of gas as well and the higher the speed the more it seems to stumble when it does. I briefly looked at this one a year or so ago but then the vehicle was gone as he got another one to drive but I don't think that'll be the case this time as on his Ford Ranger he cracked the number 3 piston which they tried to tell me he needed a starter replacement on but I found the starter was operating just fine after removing and bench testing it and back on the vehicle as well.

Also there's another line, maybe vacuum type or something that goes 4-5 inches and has a bolt in it and does nowhere.

I will add photos as those are the best evidence. I haven't pulled any codes yet as he was so sure he wanted his alternator replaced and his blower motor that he went and bought the parts and they were there. He was even pissed enough that he took a drill and drilled a 3/16 hole right into the blower motor back side because he was pissed that it quit working. I don't understand some people's logic but this is a special type of person so I just go with the flow at times as I'm just trying to help a friend out and sometimes he realizes that he screwed up we will see once I get the vehicle running again as I change the alternator already and I'm winning to get this blower motor wrapped up. In the meantime while doing the blower motor I noticed these other things I was also doing alternator when I noticed them as well.

Please see the attached pictures and you will see what I am referring to.

Oh, I might want to add I pulled the dipstick for the oil and there's no oil level reading but he does want me to change the oil on it so I'm thinking about pulling the plug for him because I'm curious to see what I will find inside the drain pan. It's kind of like that mystery meat you get at McDonald's or Arby's and you just kind of wonder about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dtnel
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 Mar 2019 07:29 #27806 by Dtnel
I've also read some of these issues could be related to the TPS - Throttle Position Sensor? IF so does anyone have the GM/Cadillac test procedure.

It's been hit and miss with doing diagnostic stuff lately so if the component tester portion of my scan tool has these testsI need to figure out if I can use the Wireless scan module as the OBD port is in the middle just above the floorboard in the hump.

I do have a 90 degree adapter that can plug in but also when I look the vehicle up it shows that I need the OBD 1 GM powered adapter that you'd normally use for reading from a OBD 1 port and I was worried that if I plug the compact scan module with the 12 volt OBD powered adapter that it could damage the compact scan module?? Don't want to ruin a $1800 scan adapter and snap on tell me I broke it.

I don't have any hard wired scan tools. I only have the Autel TS-608 and the Snap-OnZeus which I'm slowly slowly learning the Zeus when I can but that's hit-and-miss as I have other things going on in life as well and this is more so hobby stuff.

I do have a Pico scope but that's still sitting brand new in the box one and a half years as I never got it out and got it set up as I want to dedicate one laptop to that with a dual boot hard drive that way if I go to t i s web there's no compatibility issues with Windows 7. I'm giving some of that some forethought for setting up the laptop to save further work when I add other things to try such as either a Dongle for drew tech or a J-Box which I'd eventually line to learn as well. Yes I have a lot on my plate they want to learn.

I'm thinking I need to give up coaching softball that way I can focus on little things like this but that will have to wait one to two years as I just committed to this upcoming season and if the girls stay I told them I will Coach one more year and after that I will be done after seven or eight years of coaching.

If anybody has any information the TPS or the above post that would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

This vehicle has been a pain in the butt and I don't understand why a shop with throw 8 injectors in the vehicle when I'm finding all this other crap wrong with it including a ground from the engine valve cover hold down Bolt 2 the firewall next to the blower motor that they use a household electrical twist connector to join the wires.

I will be pulling that off later as well as I want to make it a good connection but also I don't understand why they did that because when I change the alternator there's a very good ground from the alternator melt to two different areas on the engine and it is in very good shape and intact

More
15 Mar 2019 08:53 #27830 by wacoeagle
EGR probably disconnected because its bad., if its leaking air into the engine could be a problem . you can take it off and make a block off plate out of an aluminum can to seal it off. ... those melted looking wires might go to the coolant temp sensor, if the coolant temp sensor thinks the engine is running cold it gives too much fuel!!! look for any vacuum leaks you can find and fix them. a coolant thermostat sticking open can fool the coolant sensor too.
carburetor clean those throttle butter flies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

More
15 Mar 2019 09:12 #27833 by wacoeagle
think of an EGR system as an engine parasite. it does NOTHING to make the engine run better. all it does is when engine gets to higher speeds, it opens a portal from the exhaust system, sucks some of the ALREADY BURNED fumes from the exhaust, and routes them back into the intake system of the car to try and reburn any unburned fuel, (which doesnt exist).. this was a big bullshit the car manufactures did to try and apppease govt tree huggers in the 80s. its like this.. you are a jogger and run behind a line of big diesel trucks trying to breathe, and you have to breathe all of thier exhaust gas.. EGR = engine getting robbed!!
An engine likes oxygen rich air to burn with fuel , not already burned fumes. some would argue you get better gas mileage with EGR, I never saw any proof of that. if u make a block off plate and forget abt it thats one less problem your going to ever have to worry abt on the car.. just my opinion. some states u might fail emissions if they see it.

More
15 Mar 2019 09:17 #27835 by wacoeagle
also why 3/16TH hole in the blower? 1/4 inch is much more common??

• Dtnel
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Mar 2019 06:26 #27868 by Dtnel
I don't know this guy's thought process as I've known him coming up on three years and I think our friend relationship that developed is going out the door and I answer the phone less often because now it only seems that he calls when he wants something fixed. More often than not especially lately he's trying to talk me down with pricing which is surprising because he claims to be a business owner for painting but I know he is only did a couple jobs this winter because I think he would rather sit around and smoke you know what with his girlfriend and play mr. Big shot though he don't even have money to pay rent.

he's good enough friends with the guy that he lets him or I should say his daughter stay there because he don't have big enough you know what to get his daughter to behave as he had her living with him and his girlfriend and his girlfriend's daughter but that relationship went South so he rented a place to put his daughter over there to keep his girlfriend happy.

My honest opinion, the guy doesn't have his priorities right because if he did his relationship with his daughter would be the top or the top two things and that's when your factoring your relationship with God as well.

It's funny his girlfriend puts Family First but she won't let him put family first when it comes to making sure his daughter is where he's living which is over at their girlfriends house 95% of the time.

I plan on rapping this deal up, and keeping my distance as much as possible. Only so many hours in a day and I have so much other things I could be doing to get done including my own stuff. I think I'm going to tell him that if he keeps trying to talk me down and prices that I will just not do business with him anymore because of the fact and if he doesn't have enough money to pay me but has enough money to buy you know what then why are you trying to talk me down and prices.

I don't understand how you let your girlfriend argue with your own daughter right there in front of you let alone at a sporting event in front of all the parents that are there from the school.

That's another unfortunate Flipside is I am the daughters sports coach and volunteer coach at the school and have had to deal with this at school sporting events but they are not school sanction meaning in our state the state doesn't endorse girls softball fastpitch level.

Sorry about going off on the ram I'll just some things really bother me with people but I'm slowly starting to get away from this issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Dtnel
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Mar 2019 06:32 #27869 by Dtnel
No emission in this state so once we check those other things this may be something I'll suggest to him. Thanks!

More
16 Mar 2019 09:14 #27871 by wacoeagle
whats the daughter look like? decent? maybe some french benefits to be had? hell if hes stoned and his car is running, use it to take her out for refreshments?

• Dtnel
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
19 Mar 2019 04:11 #27919 by Dtnel
I'm 46, married, the daughter friends with my daughter in school and I coach her as well as 11 other young women in sports. I wouldn't think of it on the going out for munchies part. Not my thing and people go to jail for that. Not me!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 1.075 seconds