Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Ford Taurus SEL Steering Wheel Removal

More
5 years 1 month ago #27707 by popoften
Hi guys this is related to my other thread Re: the airbag on this car.

To do the tests recommended in the other thread, I need to remove steering wheel to gain access to airbag module and clockspring and wiring. I have removed the upper and lower clamshell around the emergency flasher switch and ignition lock cylinder. But I still do not see how to gain access to the steering whee bolts.

Advice?

Thx pop
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27711 by popoften
Sorry to bother you guys, After several tries with several search engines finally did find a good guide online at:

www.taurusowners.com/topic/663-so-you-wa...your-steering-wheel/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 1 month ago #27716 by Tyler
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! :blush: Did you manage to get the wheel off?

I dunno what it is, but I can never get steering wheels off their splines without a puller. :angry: I'm sure guys like Noah just walk up and make them fall off!

More
5 years 1 month ago #27718 by popoften

Tyler wrote: Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! :blush: Did you manage to get the wheel off?

I dunno what it is, but I can never get steering wheels off their splines without a puller. :angry: I'm sure guys like Noah just walk up and make them fall off!

Yes, I got it off and ran my first resistance test with the 2.2 ohm resistors across both the primary and secondary inflator wires. Computer still flashing low resistance code, so have to pull shell to get at clockspring.

Looks like to rx bolt has to come out, and then I need to attach a puller at the points marked PULL. Of course will have to disconnect some wires first.

Attachments:

More
5 years 1 month ago #27719 by Tyler
Can you get to the clockspring connector by pulling off the lower column shell? That'd allow you to confirm a shorted clockspring.

Definitely try pulling the wheel off by hand first if you don't have a puller around. Applying pressure with your knees while wiggling back and forth with your hands has occasionally worked for me.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #27723 by Andy.MacFadyen
Re pulling the steering wheel ---- to prevent injury as it can come away from column suddenly and smack yo on the face ( guess how I know !) just slacken the centre bolt off enough to leave 1/4" of threads exposed. Then pull at one side of the wheel while smacking the the back of diagonally opposite side with the side of you fist or a rubber mallet.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27907 by popoften
OK, Got steering wheel off yesterday, (I carefully used a two-jaw puller) and I have to admit I am now stuck about how to take the clockspring off. Looked but can't find any good how-to's on it. I don't want to just pull on it as I don't want to break it, especially if it is not the problem. Looks like I might need to remove the dash kick-panel piece to access the clockspring-harness connectors. Once I do that, it seems to me I need to connect the 2.2 ohm resistors to the connector holes that correspond to the appropriate wires on the clockspring that ultimately lead to the connections on the removed airbag and then turn ignition key to ON and see what airbag light does.

Any pointers for this step appreciated!

Pop

More
5 years 1 month ago #27910 by popoften
Oh and I will be sure to check for the clockspring connector(s) under the lower column shell.

Time to create page: 0.392 seconds