Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Volvo V70 1999 5cyl 2,4L Turbo crank no start

More
5 years 1 month ago #27702 by spit64
Volvo V70 1999 5cyl 2,4L Turbo crank no start car is 3 hours away but asked the owner the car cranks ok sounds normal try to start have spark and smell fuel my question is can the car have a bad cam or crank sensor and still have spark. I should think fuel first but the owner told it did smell fuel,
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27732 by kostelectronics
A bit less of informations.
If the car has spark, don't care about cam/crank sensors so far.

I really can't help you with precise informations because you don't have precise informations too. I know These cars very well, so i can only give you some "maybe" answers:

- check for fuel pressure at the rail
- These cars have often Problems with the throttle-body. The idle is also regulated through the throttle-body. Maybe it's not opening. Check for Sound from there after turning the ignition on.
- Maybe a stuck open injector that floods the cylinder and let the fuel pressure decae.

--->You can't do much without informations. You have no other Chance than go there and hook up your scantool and do your diagnostic-job first. Maybe there's a Volvo dealer or a scrapyard near, where cou can get the neccessary parts.

BR Matthias

More
5 years 1 month ago #27741 by spit64
Thanks for the answer the owner did take it to a shop to make the repair I thought if it was a small chance that the cam and crank could be wrong it might not get so expensive otherwise a no start should normally not be a problem but who knows my self is very restricted to leave the car away to a shop if I don't know who it is, it might be a parts changer and get expensive.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27743 by spit64
The shop had made the call on the car no compression the owner is a woman so I don't know if it was more than one cylinder, she is a single mother and it was the worst that could happen. it is a little hard to believe........ did they make the right call but with a compression tester it is hard to not give the right call.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #27744 by kostelectronics

spit64 wrote: the owner is a woman so I don't know if it was more than one cylinder, she is a single mother and it was the worst that could happen.

Oh, sorry to hear that! For sure i can understand this situation! :(

Can she make a Video how the cranking-sound is? Also how the failure was coming...much details as possible!
No compression on all cylinders is very uncommon, unless the timing-belt is broken or the exhaust is plugged up -->check for vacuum on the intake.

A low compression can also result of washed out cylinders from fuel, but only one cylinder is affected then. But the fuel-pressure can go down in a extreme case that the car won't start, but this is nearly impossible.

What's your next plan? You need to do the basic-checks at the vehicle --->Spark, fuel, timing, air...
Sorry, but i'm not able to help you otherwise. If you have FB, you can write me there and we can do the diagnose live.

BR Matthias
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by kostelectronics.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27745 by Andy.MacFadyen
I would have tried some propane or carb cleaner sprayed into the inlet as one the first steps.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 1 month ago #27756 by spit64
I think it is a slight possibility for cylinder wash,,,,,,,, they have been cranking the engine before they took it to a shop and the shop has also I guess cranked the engine over and it has been parked since Christmas.. I hope she will keep it for a while so I can do my own compression test but she might panic and sell it cheap.
thanks for the help I will be back if I get an opportunity to test it for my self.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds