Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Nissan timing chain

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #27632 by Da Beginner
Okay, I'm a bit new to this, anyways. I'm working on a 2003 Nissan with the 3.5 VQ engine. the problem I'm dealing with is that we replace the timing chain tensioner because the engine was making noise. After placing a new one in (tensioner) and putting it all back together the noise was still there, we took it back apart to find the tensioner fully entended and there is about a 1/4 inch space between the tensioner and chain guide. my question is do you guys think it's the chain because all of the gears looks good. Thanks for the feedback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #27659 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Nissan timing chain
Hi there,
I'm going to go ahead and move this to the repair questions section for you so you get more responses.
That sounds like an awful lot of clearance between the tensioner and guide.
I've never been in a Nissan 3.5l for timing components, but as long as you're certain the new tensioner it's installed correctly and not damaged and that there's no other missing or broken components, then I would say it just about has to be a stretched chain. If you are going to replace the chain, I would recommend selling the entire kit (chains, guides, be water pump etc...) to the customer to avoid having to go back in a third time, or even serious engine damage.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Noah.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #27667 by chief eaglebear
Replied by chief eaglebear on topic Nissan timing chain
hi sir just trying to encourage I did my suby legacy 2.2 timing belt and I picked up about six miles per gallon which lasted about a month or more so a timing chain switch out is sometimes good and when I explain a real tune up sometimes a tune up consists of a timing component change out as that little sliver of play that valves go thru dcrease efficiency quite a bit you may be the bigginer but with a little time and practice you can master these things

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #27675 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Nissan timing chain
What parts did you replace, exactly? Just the primary chain tensioner?

If you still have it apart, take a close look at the secondary chains and their tensioner shoes (the short chains between the cams on both banks). The shoes like to wear down to the metal tensioner piston and make a horrific noise. :lol: Sounds like marbles in a coffee can.

It's easy to miss if you only had the timing cover and the primary chain tensioner off.
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds