Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Honda Accord Hyundai Elantra Wheel Swap

More
5 years 1 month ago #27619 by scarney
Hi,

I didn't see anything related in the forum. I know this may not be the typical Scanner Danner forum question, so I apologize ahead of time.

That said, I have 1996 Honda Accord with a set of older Kuhmo Ecsta LX Platinum tires and a 2003 Hyundai Elantra with a new set of Michelin Premier A/S tires. I plan on keeping the Accord and selling the Elantra, so I'd like to take the Michelin's off the Elantra before I sell it. The Kuhmo's are 185/65R15 and the Michelin's are 195/60R15.

Originally, I was going to take cars to a shop and have the tires swapped. From what I found on www.wheel-size.com/ , the Honda's wheels are 5.5 inches wide, while the Elantas are 6.0 inches wide. My research indicated that a 5.5 inch wheel could take a 195mm wide tire, and that a 6.0 inch wheel can take a 185mm tire.

However, at around $15-$20 for a mount and balance, I started thinking about just swapping the wheels and saving $150. Again from www.wheel-size.com/ , the Honda wheels are 5.5JJx15 ET50 and the Elantra wheels are 6Jx15 ET46. The total height and width of the Honda wheel/tire combination is 24.5 by 7.3. For the Elantra the height and width is 24.2 by 7.7 . So my question is, with such a close a size and offset, can I just swap the wheels from car to the other. The bolt pattern on both wheels is 4x114.3.

Long story short, I was going to swap the wheels and check for fitment issues. If there aren't any fitment issues, I'm good to go. I'm looking for confirmation that my logic makes sense, and just wanted some advice on anything I should look out for. I understand the speedometer will be slightly off. I see on tire rack, you can buy wheels for the Honda up to seven inches wide. I'm assuming they would only sell wheels that would fit, and thus I'd be fine running the six inch wheel from the Elantra.

Lastly, the only thing that might hold me back is that the Elantra wheels have double the mileage, 200,000 versus 100,000. However, I didn't think for steel wheels that it would make a difference at all, so long as the wheels weren't damaged in some way. Thanks for reading, any input is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #27627 by chief eaglebear
hi sir if fitment is good on lugs the correct tire size for most vehicles is printed in door jam if you deviate from this too much you might have tranny issues or gear issues also the speed signal from wheels will not fit tire perameters throwing everything for a loop LOL and abs will be confused possibly NOT a real tech yet but I did sleep in a holiday in last night LOL

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 1 month ago #27671 by Noah
Don't forget to consider the diameter of the wheel hub: the hole in the center of the rim.
I've seen incorrect wheels break studs because the center hole was allowing the wheel to "walk".
Or sometimes the rim simply will not fit over the hub.
I would try it.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds