Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Crank no Start on 2000 F350 Powerstroke

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #27576 by 907North
Hello hoping someone here is willing and able to help me with my 2000 7.3 f350.

Died suddenly while driving down the road, cranks strong but wont start, immediate thought was bad ipr/icp as i know this is a fairly common culprit of a crank no start on these trucks, however when researching on the powerstroke forums they mentioned that if the WTS light doesnt come on at KOEO then its a PCM communication issue. Sure enough plugged my obd2 scanner into the DLC and no communication.

All the fuses are good, Checked visually and with a meter, PCM relay is good, getting a 5v reference. And here is where I begin to lose direction, perhaps someone here can answer a few of my questions and aim me in the right direction moving forward.

I am assuming that if I have a 5V ref than the PCM is good and receiving power 2 that there is not a short in the 5V ref circuit. is this safe to assume? or is it possible to get a 5v ref on some sensors even if another is shorted?
if I have no communication, then is it safe to assume that I have an open circuit somewhere? where do I go from here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #27579 by guafa
If you have 5V ref. That means PCM is receiving 12V from battery and 5V regulation circuit is working (nothing else).

I would check first OBDII port. Check for 12V and grounds (both).

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #27581 by Tyler
Agree with guafa about the 5V reference circuit. There's only one 5V ref in these trucks, and it can't be dead shorted if you measured 5V with your meter KOEO. I also agree with verifying power at pin 16 and grounds on 4 and 5 at the DLC. Use an incandescent test light if available. ;)

If those check out, then you're down to PCM powers and grounds. BBB Industries is down, of course. :angry: The diagram in my 7.3 manual indicates you're looking for a constant power at pin 55 red/white. You should have key on powers at pin 71 red and pin 97 red. Should also have constant ground at pin 25, 51, 77 and 103.

If anyone else can assist with a wiring diagram, I'd be grateful! :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 907North

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #27593 by 907North
Thanks for the quick reply, I will check and report back.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #27598 by cheryl hartkorn
dont forget the data lines. also is it just the pcm your not able to communicate with? c

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds