Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Chevrolet Equinox Set A Code p228D and p0089 Reduced Engine Power

More
5 years 2 months ago #27305 by aboudehsayed
I have a problem in a chevrolet Equinox 2010, The code set on scanner
P0228D and P0089
With reduced engine Power
Any help please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #27307 by Chad
I would look into your fuel pressure sensor.

C & P

DTC Descriptors
DTC P0089
- Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance

DTC P00C6
- Fuel Rail Pressure Low During Engine Cranking

DTC P228C
- Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Control Performance - Low Pressure

DTC P228D
- Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Control Performance - High Pressure

Circuit/System Description

The fuel rail pressure sensor detects fuel pressure within the fuel rail. The engine control module (ECM) provides a 5 V reference voltage on the 5 V reference circuit and ground on the low reference circuit. The ECM receives a varying signal voltage on the signal circuit.

High pressure fuel is regulated by the high pressure fuel pump actuator, which is a part of the high pressure fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pump actuator is a solenoid valve. The ECM provides a voltage on the actuator high control circuit and ground on the actuator low control circuit. Both circuits are controlled through output drivers within the ECM. When deactivated, both drivers are disabled. When activated, the high control circuit driver energizes the high pressure fuel pump actuator and the low control circuit driver pulse-width modulates (PWM) the low control circuit to ground.

The high pressure mechanical fuel pump is driven by three lobes on the camshaft. The ECM uses the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor inputs to synchronize the high pressure fuel pump actuator with the position of each of the camshaft lobes. The ECM regulates fuel pressure by adjusting the portion of each pump stroke that provides fuel to the rail.

The ECM monitors the fuel rail fuel pressure sensor and the high pressure fuel pump actuator to determine if the commanded and actual pressure are within a predetermined range, or if the amount of fuel pressure correction exceeds a calibrated pressure.

Conditions for Running the DTC

P0089, P228C, or P228D
* DTC P0090, P0091, P0092, P0191, P0192, or P0193 is not set.
* The ignition voltage is less than 18 V.
* The deceleration fuel cut-off (DFCO) is inactive.
* The engine speed is greater than 25 RPM.
* The air bag is not deployed.
* The DTCs run continuously when the above conditions are met for 5 s.

P00C6
* DTC P0090, P0091, P0092, P00C8, P00C9, P00CA, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0128, P0192, P0193, P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341, P0345, P0346, P0365, P0366, P0390, P0391, P0627, P0628, P0629 are not set.
* The ignition voltage is more than 8 V.
* The engine coolant temperature is between -100 and +65°C (-148 and +149°F).
* The low side fuel pressure is more than 0 kPa (0 psi).
* The engine is not running.
* The DTC runs once for each engine start.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P0089

The high pressure fuel pump actuator command necessary to maintain the desired fuel rail pressure is +/-2,500 kPa (363 psi) of the command expected by the controller. The condition exists for greater than 5 s.

P00C6

The ECM detects that the fuel pressure is not rising or has fallen beyond acceptable limits during engine cranking.

P228C

The actual fuel rail pressure is 1,500 kPa (218 psi) less than the desired fuel pressure. The condition exists for greater than 5 s.

P228D

The actual fuel rail pressure is 3,600 kPa (522 psi) greater than the desired fuel rail pressure. The condition exists for greater than 5 s.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

* DTCs P0089 and P00C6 are Type B DTCs.
* DTCs P228C and P228D are Type A DTCs.
* A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

* DTCs P0089 and P00C6 are Type B DTCs.
* DTCs P228C and P228D are Type A DTCs.

Diagnostic Aids

* A restricted fuel feed pipe between the fuel feed pipe fuel pressure sensor and the high pressure fuel pump may set a DTC.
* A condition with the fuel tank fuel pump module or fuel pump flow control module may set these DTCs.
* A skewed fuel rail pressure sensor, or an intermittent condition in the fuel rail pressure sensor circuits may set these DTCs.
* A leaking or restricted fuel injector may set DTC P0089.
* A short to voltage in the crankshaft position signal circuit may set a DTC.
* A short to voltage in the camshaft position actuator solenoid valve control circuit may set a DTC.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
5 years 2 months ago #27308 by Chad

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:

More
5 years 2 months ago #27323 by Tyler
I like pole71's suggestion to investigate the rail pressure sensor. A quick check is to run the low pressure pump, observe the low pressure sensor, and compare to the rail pressure sensor. They should match within a few PSI.

Similarly, if you use the bidirectional test to bleed rail pressure, then the rail pressure sensor should read zero.

More
5 years 2 months ago #27338 by aboudehsayed
Thank you so much guys, for your interest, i use all the data you gave to me, my problem has been solved when i unplug the Fuel pressure sensor located underneath the vehicle on the fuel line from the fuel pump all the way to the engine , and everything is ok, i will do circuit integrity test before replacing the sensor

Best Regard Eng Aboudehsayed

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds