Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Amperage test did not work

More
5 years 2 months ago #27255 by Antorozco1
07 Pontiac G6 3.5 P0977 code is active. I found the problem with checking the resistance of the 2-3 shift solenoid of Transmission. My question is why my amperage test did not work? I disconnected tcm put one lead on the tcm pin for that circuit and the other lead of multimeter on the harness side of the same circuit. And yes my probes were connected on the com port and amp port. I followed the test exactly word by word on the attachment that I’ll have attached to this post. If someone could please tell me where I made my mistake thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #27257 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Amperage test did not work
Hey Antorozco1! If I'm understanding you correctly, your current test didn't work because there's no path to ground for the current to flow.

To be honest, this IDfix article isn't very clear. They say you should do this test (which is a good test), but not where to place your ammeter leads. What I think they meant to (or should) say is:

Use an ammeter to check the current draw of the 2-3 shift solenoid. The solenoid control circuit is on pin 20 Yellow/Black wire. Connect your red ammeter lead to pin 20 of the TCM connector, and the black ammeter lead to ground.

Your reading was likely zero because, when you disconnected the TCM, you took away the TCM's physical connection to ground. Which, according to the diagram, is pin 49 in the TCM connector. Perhaps an even better way to word that test would be:

Use an ammeter to check the current draw of the 2-3 shift solenoid. The solenoid control circuit is on pin 20 Yellow/Black wire. Connect your red ammeter lead to pin 20 of the TCM connector, and the black ammeter lead to pin 49 of the TCM connector.

That way, you're testing the TCM ground at the same time. It's unlikely that you have a TCM ground issue, since none of the other solenoids are coding. ;) But hey, you're already staring at the TCM connector, so why not!

Did that make sense? :silly: That IDfix article is OK, BUT it assumes that you know circuit polarity, and is therefore a bit vague. No mistakes made by you, IMO.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Tyler.

More
5 years 2 months ago #27260 by Antorozco1
Thanks Tyler your explanation sounded way better. I appreciate it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds