ScannerDanner Premium Customer Support (15 Mar 2019)

Please add This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as a contact in your email system. I am having a very hard time communicating with some of you because my reply messages are ending up in your spam folder! So please check your spam folders too!

× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2007 Dodge Nitro electrical issue

• TOMMITYTOMTOM
  • Topic Author
More
07 Feb 2019 16:15 #26861 by TOMMITYTOMTOM
2007 Dodge Nitro electrical issue was created by TOMMITYTOMTOM
2007 Nitro , 3.7L . Daughter's car. She called to tell me that the alternator was smoking. She knows her way around tools so I had her quickly disconnect the battery. I determined that the alternator was bad and installed a new one. After making all connections, I have a dead key. Battery is charged but no gauges, no start. Was told by a mechanic problem was likely the TIPM. (Totally integrated power module). I sent the unit off and the repair facility shipped it back at no charge stating that the problem I'm having isn't covered in their repair procedure. I've tried jumping it, nothing. Dome light work IF you manually turn them on but not through door switches. Door locks dead. Nothing comes on inside or outside the vehicle. Any thoughts ? I fix 99% of all of my car issues. Alternator was easy with 3 bolts, belt 1 plug and the charge lead. I get 12v+ to the TIPM, no blown fuses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cheryl hartkorn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Feb 2019 16:58 #26862 by cheryl hartkorn
Replied by cheryl hartkorn on topic 2007 Dodge Nitro electrical issue
have you checked the body to engine grounds?? if not clip light on the body strut bolt etc then use testing end probe engine block. you shouldnt see it light if you do you have a bad ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

• cheryl hartkorn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Feb 2019 17:01 #26863 by cheryl hartkorn
also check fuses m16 m15 and m33 with the key on. should have power the diagram says there in the tipm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

• TOMMITYTOMTOM
  • Topic Author
More
10 Feb 2019 12:09 #26938 by TOMMITYTOMTOM
Replied by TOMMITYTOMTOM on topic 2007 Dodge Nitro electrical issue
Hi, All grounds good that I can find. Getting 12.2-ish volts to TIPM. No power inside car at all.

• TOMMITYTOMTOM
  • Topic Author
More
10 Feb 2019 12:11 #26939 by TOMMITYTOMTOM
All fuses in TIPM are good. No Communication to Scan tool as well. Tool gets power from data port but will not communicate. I'm suspecting ECM.

• TOMMITYTOMTOM
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2019 17:13 #27441 by TOMMITYTOMTOM
Hi, M15, M16 and M33 have no voltage with key on. thoughts ?

• Tyler
  • Letting the magic smoke out since 2011
More
01 Mar 2019 10:59 #27489 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2007 Dodge Nitro electrical issue

TOMMITYTOMTOM wrote: Hi, M15, M16 and M33 have no voltage with key on. thoughts ?

How about M37? Because according to the diagram, M15, M16, M33 and M37 all get power from the Run/Start relay (likely integrated into the TIPM).

M15, M16 and M33 power other accessories, but M37 goes to the PCM. That'd very neatly explain your lack of communication.

• TOMMITYTOMTOM
  • Topic Author
More
01 Mar 2019 14:58 #27497 by TOMMITYTOMTOM
I'll check that ASAP. Thanks for the tip. I have the wiring diagram but it's a bit overwhelming.

• cheryl hartkorn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2019 17:33 #27501 by cheryl hartkorn
post the diagramif you could

• Tyler
More
01 Mar 2019 18:21 #27502 by Tyler

cheryl hartkorn wrote: post the diagramif you could

The entire power distribution diagram is too big for the forums. :angry: So I cut it down to the two pages with the relevant fuses:

File Attachment:

File Name: nitrodiagram.pdf
File Size:664 KB

I have the wiring diagram but it's a bit overwhelming.

Not your fault - it's a big diagram. :lol: And the relationship between the four fuses isn't very clearly indicated.
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2019 19:46 - 01 Mar 2019 19:51 #27505 by wacoeagle
Replied by wacoeagle on topic 2007 Dodge Nitro electrical issue
was the car jumped off and possibly the jumper cable installed backwards on the battery, that will fry the computer.

what was smoking was it the winding inside the alternator? the wiring going to the alternator? start backtracking from the alternator back. is the alternator fused with a fusible link? did it short out the battery? did it burn ground lugs off of anything? smoking usually means DIRECT SHORT!
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 19:51 by wacoeagle.

• TOMMITYTOMTOM
  • Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2019 10:14 #27545 by TOMMITYTOMTOM
Car wasn't jumped off. She noticed smoking and sent me a small video. Lucky for me that she knows her way around my tool box and I had her disconnect the battery quickly. The smoke was from inside the alternator case. I've verified all user-replacable fuses and relays in the TIPM are good. Fuses were checked with a meter for continuity when removed from TIPM. Relays, the same way but with a 12V power supply to check coils in relay and DVM for continuity as well. I may take the TIPM apart again and check the small relays as well. There isn't a fuseable link anywhere that I can find.

• Tyler
More
03 Mar 2019 13:26 #27554 by Tyler

TOMMITYTOMTOM wrote: Car wasn't jumped off. She noticed smoking and sent me a small video. Lucky for me that she knows her way around my tool box and I had her disconnect the battery quickly. The smoke was from inside the alternator case. I've verified all user-replacable fuses and relays in the TIPM are good. Fuses were checked with a meter for continuity when removed from TIPM. Relays, the same way but with a 12V power supply to check coils in relay and DVM for continuity as well. I may take the TIPM apart again and check the small relays as well. There isn't a fuseable link anywhere that I can find.

Do you recall if fuse M37 had power KOEO?

• TOMMITYTOMTOM
  • Topic Author
More
16 Mar 2019 12:53 #27874 by TOMMITYTOMTOM
Sorry for the delay, I've been in the hospital. M37 is ABS/ESP/STP/LP SW/FUEL PUMP RELAY HI CONTROL. No voltage (KOEO)

• TOMMITYTOMTOM
  • Topic Author
More
16 Mar 2019 12:56 #27875 by TOMMITYTOMTOM
Actron CP9180 scanner gets power from OBD port but NO communication with any modules.

• Tyler
More
17 Mar 2019 11:40 #27888 by Tyler

TOMMITYTOMTOM wrote: Sorry for the delay, I've been in the hospital. M37 is ABS/ESP/STP/LP SW/FUEL PUMP RELAY HI CONTROL. No voltage (KOEO)

Sorry to hear that. :( Hoping all is well.

Definitely sounds like the Run/Start relay isn't getting energized, OR there's an issue on the load side of the relay.

• TOMMITYTOMTOM
  • Topic Author
More
25 Mar 2019 08:58 #28084 by TOMMITYTOMTOM
As I was unable to physically work on the car, I gave in and let my daughter's boyfriend's friend tow it. He asked for all of things i've tried. I told him my gut feeling was the TIPM as it would freak out overtime I would pull it and reinstall after checking relays soldered to the board. He immediately bought a used TIPM for same make and upon installing, it fired right up. I really wanted to diagnose rather than just throw a part at it. Thanks for all of the tips though.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.952 seconds