Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Cranks but no strat.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26607 by Osborne
Cranks but no strat. was created by Osborne
2005 V6 Hyundai Terracan Cranks but no start.Has fuel has spark(checked at thecoil paks by simple lead disconnect).Did have p100 code for Maf sensor.Have done some testing and 5v ref circuit does seem to check ok.If i ddisconnect battery and ecm and leave overnight and reconnect it will fire for a sec then shut down.You crank again and will not fire at all just crank.have removed sparkplugs and have signs of fuel. Not sure what do from here .What direction or baseline would u suggest.Any help would be appreciated. Frustrated.
Ask for any more info.....
In reference to the 5v ref circuit the testing has only been on the disconnected side testing the voltage and 5v supply.Not backprobed to see if there is a short. I'm not a tech , just trying to learn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26614 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Cranks but no strat.
Hey Osborne! Unfortunately, Hyundai doesn't sell the Terracan in the US. :( Which engine is in yours? Hoping it's the 3.5, 'cause we DO get that engine in the US.

I'm good with your 5V reference check. To be clear, you got good strong spark out of at least one of the coil towers?

More
5 years 2 months ago #26625 by Osborne
Replied by Osborne on topic Cranks but no strat.
Hey mate! Yes the engine is the 3.5l v6 (g6cu) .
And yes get all good strong spark from all three coil packs.
Backstory is basically i took engine out and replaced head gaskets.Reinstalled engine and end up with crank no start situation.I did inadvertantly knock the battery leed back onto the terminal 2 times.That is all i know i can say that i did wrong if you know what i mean.Other than that everything went smoothly.
I was going to try and do an injector pulse test witha test light next.
But any other things u may know to do before that just say so! Not sure if my step by step order is the correct way to diagnose.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26626 by Osborne
I did notice that the hall sensor plate on the crank was a little bent when i put the timing belt back in. But i dont think it has caused any concerns as i have had a friends obd scanner on it gives a cranking rpm. Tell me if i am wrong there in assuming that. And no scan codes either that is bad crank sensor.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26628 by kostelectronics
Re-Check the Timing (Best with a scope). Does this car have VVT?)
Also check the reading from the engine temperature sensor (not the sensor for the Instrument on the dash). If this sensor gives a wrong temperature, the ECU calculates a wrong mixture and the gets overfueled and result in a no start.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Osborne

More
5 years 2 months ago #26629 by Osborne
Ok will do.It does not have vvt as far as im aware.They are just basic quad cam.The only temp sensor they have is the one at the top of the engine located in the coolant pipe qhich runs over to the rear of the heads.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26634 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Cranks but no strat.
You'd think timing would be easy to check with a scope, but it's not. :silly: It's a DOHC motor, but only one cam is monitored. The rest are free to jump time if they want, and the PCM wouldn't know any better.

I still think manually checking timing is a good idea at this point. This engine is not easy to time correctly, and it'll take every excuse it can find to jump. :angry:

More
5 years 2 months ago #26641 by Osborne
Hey Tyler. I was very fussy when i reinstalled the belt.As i put a new belt in it 80 000 kms ago.And i have been back in to check for jumping and is virtually spot on the marks. So yes i want to do a check with a timing light to see where it really is.Delays in my response will usually be because of our time difference here in Australia.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26705 by Osborne
Update to diagnosis. Had a donor engine from another teracan with good hall plate/drive gear and new crank sensor.So jumped in again and replaced the parts and did timing belt..... got evrything back together. Hit the key and it ran for about 2 seconds then shut down.hit the key again andd it just winds over. Any suggestions as to what i should test or look at next!!!!???? ....

More
5 years 1 month ago #26706 by Rev Scott
Replied by Rev Scott on topic Cranks but no strat.
So, it had blown headgaskets before the engine came out? Now you have good spark, but your plugs are getting fuel fouled.
Is there a chance the catalytic converters are clogged from oil, fuel, or coolant getting in there prior to the repair?

A clogged exhaust would give you exactly that set of symptoms, (I know from recent experience).

You could check by removing the front 02 sensors to see if it runs. Or if they are difficult to get to, check to see if the engine is pulling 4”hg of vacuum during cranking.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26841 by Osborne
no problems with cat in that regard at all.no scan codes are present.the only time engine runs for about a second is if i disconnect the battery and ecm and then reconnect them the next day and hit the key . it will only fire the one time then will just crank. need some sense of next direction thanks. 5v ref circuit and sensors seem to be within spec. connected and backprobed also.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26842 by Osborne
temp sensor checks ok

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds