Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Who is familiar with Nissan/Suzuki tps relay circuit

More
5 years 2 months ago #26566 by Columbus450
Orange throttle motor relay control

Violet throttle motor relay power

From my understanding the ecm sends a signal to relay control wire with key on to turn on relay power to TPS,,,,,, , I have no power coming out of violet wire that goes to ECM when I send that violet wire 12v,the tps will work and app comes alive and I have throttle back, But after a few key cycles the computer realizes it has constant power and a triggers a code

Problem I dont understand is orange wire throttle motor relay wire has 12v power all the time key off and key on coming from relay to ecm in that direction

Isn't a control wire supposed to be controlled?? It's hot all the time

I am getting confused been diagnosing this for to long someone please explain how this relay is supposed to work

Its internal inside the ipdm btw

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26567 by chief eaglebear
Not familiar with it but it does look like a freqency feedback type circuit from positive to negative looks like feedback comes from ecm from tps position check out adt training you can get a diagnostic machine specifically for tps circuits that ate regulated from a Hertz position just my two cents

More
5 years 2 months ago #26568 by Valessilo
Problem I dont understand is orange wire throttle motor relay wire has 12v power all the time key off and key on coming from relay to ecm in that direction

That's normal. Battery voltage comes from the fuse, goes through the coil in the relay, and goes to ecm. If you don't have power on this orange wire all the way to the ECM, then you have an open somewhere.

If ecm driver does not give a ground OR if key is off, everything is hot on that wire all the way to ecm.

The ecm controls that coil in the relay by giving a ground on the orange wire. When that happens voltage on one side of coil will be battery voltage (this condition never changes because it's connected to a fuse all the time), and on the other side it will be close to zero volts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbus450

More
5 years 2 months ago #26571 by Columbus450
Sorry vehicle is a 2010 Suzuki equator 4.0

Aww ok The ECM would ground that circuit Orange wire that is hot all of the time and when that does happen I should receive power out of my Violet wire to the ECM.

Well that's exactly What is not happening I am not receiving power out of my Violet wire, So it seems to me that ECM driver is not doing his job by grounding it funny thing I just got this ECM back for a repair because it was not signaling the can communication system they fixed it and returned it to me this problem I never had before

More
5 years 2 months ago #26572 by Columbus450
Nice you and monde Are dead on point and saying the same exact things , I never knew that ECM would control that side of the relay by grounding it I couldn't figure by looking at the diagram what actually controlled it to make power jump out of the violat wire this makes total sense

My Orange wire does have power all of the time all the way to the ecm there is no opens , So that is good

I also have 0 V on my Violet wire

From my understanding the ECM is supposed to be grounding out my Orange wire, When this would happen , I should have power going to my Violet wire heading straight to the ecm to control the TPS motor, So sounds like I have a bad driver in the ecm . The relay is built internal inside of the IDPM Box, This is the 2nd one I have gotten and the problem remains the same

2010 Suzuki equator 4.0

More
5 years 2 months ago #26574 by Columbus450
OK quick update you guys I grounded out the Orange wire Since the ECM was not doing it, and BAAAAM!!! The relay clicks 12v power jumps over to my Violet wire that heads to the ECM that controls the throttle motor

So I have a bad driver in the ECM itself, Looks like I will have to send it off again for another repair

((((The problem on this vehicle was 0 V on Violet wire when the vehicle was running no power to the TPS motor))))

It would be nice if my diagram would have told me that ,that wire was supposed to be grounded , I couldn't understand for the life of me what turned that relay on and energized it

More
5 years 2 months ago #26575 by Tyler
Columbus450, I'm super happy that you're making headway, but in the future I need you to keep all discussion about your troubleshooting on this vehicle to one thread. ;) Starting multiple threads about the same vehicle tends to confuse things for anyone else following along, or who might be searching for information later. Thanks!

More
5 years 2 months ago #26576 by Columbus450
Ok thanks will do !

More
5 years 2 months ago #26577 by Busted Knuckle
Has it had a throttle reprogram performed? Supposed to be done anytime TB is replaced or cleaned, or if pcm is replaced (rebuilt). Hope it helps ;)

Repair and despair since 1990

More
5 years 2 months ago #26578 by Columbus450
The throttle body has not been replaced or cleaned the only thing that has been done to his vehicle was ECM Input circuit was repaired

More
5 years 2 months ago #26581 by Busted Knuckle

Columbus450 wrote: The throttle body has not been replaced or cleaned the only thing that has been done to his vehicle was ECM Input circuit was repaired

If ECM went to a repair facility and you didn't have this problem before, it seems logical to me that it may need to be reprogrammed. Especially since the throttle is supposed to be reprogrammed after ecm replacement.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26582 by Busted Knuckle
"Replacement" was probably the wrong word to use there....repairing an ECM is just as good as replacing it sometimes as far as reprogramming is concerned. ;)

More
5 years 2 months ago #26586 by Columbus450
Yes busted knuckles it was repaired not replaced but I get what you're saying

I just did a re learn with my modis And no change driver circuit is not coming alive, I noticed though if I keep the Orange wire grounded at all times vehicle runs great accelerates perfect does not throw a fault code even with cycles of the key switch but I do know it's not supposed to be grounded all the time it's supposed to be controlled by the ECM

More
5 years 2 months ago #26588 by Busted Knuckle

Columbus450 wrote: Yes busted knuckles it was repaired not replaced but I get what you're saying

I just did a re learn with my modis And no change driver circuit is not coming alive, I noticed though if I keep the Orange wire grounded at all times vehicle runs great accelerates perfect does not throw a fault code even with cycles of the key switch but I do know it's not supposed to be grounded all the time it's supposed to be controlled by the ECM

Sounds like an ECM failure to me but I would check terminal tension on both sides of the orange wire also just in case it's loose and making contact when you ground it? You are grounding it at ECM or relay?

More
5 years 2 months ago #26589 by Columbus450
I am Manually grounding it on Orange wire coming out of relay going towards the ECM Pin connection is tight , Would a reprogramming of this computer by bringing it to a dealer really solve the problem, or Is something wrong with a driver inside of the computer I'm leaning more towards I have to send it back to the ECM repair shop

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 2 months ago #26600 by Noah
Also worth load testing the PCM power and grounds for a suspected driver failure.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 2 months ago #26604 by Columbus450
Yes 12 volts there with key on/off,also The voltage does not drop While cranking

More
5 years 2 months ago #26609 by Columbus450
This Suzuki is weird it has a newer updated idpm Box but The diagrams fuse Box does not identically match my fuse Box my relay is built internally in the idpm And it is fused at the battery, The diagram shows it to be fused and/or relayed at the idpm Box itself but that's not the case, I was thinking I could have a short to power but since I could not pull a relay I cut the wire at the Box itself While I had my meter at the ecm As soon as I snipped the wire 12 V went down to 0v , I'm really positive it's the driver in the comp ,its just not doing its job and grounding the Circuit when it should,
What else would cause this?

More
5 years 2 months ago #26610 by Valessilo

Columbus450 wrote: I noticed though if I keep the Orange wire grounded at all times vehicle runs great accelerates perfect does not throw a fault code even with cycles of the key switch

Wait, so you have no check engine light on when you have that orange wire grounded all the time, you should have a p2103. If i understand correctly it's one trip detection lol, i'm confused.

Maybe someone jumped the wrong pins at the relay when the driver was on, and driver got cooked. Maybe the relay coil is shorted and cooked the driver ? Maybe the driver is smart and can see too much current flow and will not give a full ground ? Would a definitive test be something like hooking up low amperage test light or led test light to battery positive, cut the orange wire as close to ECM and put test light on there. Reset the computer by removing/reinstalling battery then KEY on and see if test light lights up after all this.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26612 by Columbus450
And I have had the ECM disconnected so many times throughout the day troubleshooting every time I plug it back I get nothing, but good call it try disconnectingbattery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds