Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Impact or Hand on 11 Year old RUSTY Exhaust nuts !!

More
5 years 3 months ago #26506 by jman26063
So whats everybodies opinion. Gonna have to remove to manifolds. After the normal Kroil soak, what do you all suggest to try to avoid broken studs in aluminum head. I have a stubby impact that I can get into most of them or should I tackle by hand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #26508 by Rev Scott
Definitely remove the manifold to head nuts by hand. Try to keep the ratchet perfectly perpendicular to the fasteners. Save the impact for the other end at the flange bolts.

Use heat if you can get it in there without crisping something.
Heat the nut up with a propane torch, then use rust penetrant to cool it down. The hot fastener will wick the oil deeper into the threads. Spray it til it stops smoking, then wrench it out. This method also works fantastic for the manifold flange nuts and bolts in combination with your impact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, jman26063

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #26517 by Noah
The flange nuts and studs are the ones that snap most in my experience. The ones in head generally come out, but I never go for the impact right away. If the first couple come out without a fight using a ratchet or wrench, I'll grab an air tool.
I just swapped an engine into a 29 year old Mitsubishi Eclipse and had no problem using my air ratchet to remove the exhaust manifold. And trust me, there's plenty of rust in Massachusetts ;)

Like Rev Scott suggested, heat is your friend, and quenching the hot fastener in penetrant usually works very well.

If I'm being extra cautious, I'll start by trying to cracking the fastener clock wise a hair before trying to remove it. Once you've got it moving if you meet resistance, run it back in a couple threads and work it in and out in small increments.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Noah.

More
5 years 3 months ago #26519 by juergen.scholl
Hope not being too late to the party....

Use an induction heater and you'll be fine! Impact is a no go!

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds