Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

93 ford Ranger automatic 2 wheel drive Electrical issue

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #26465 by Snapon88
1/93 Ford Ranger 2.3 l automatic vehicle will run fine for several minutes then we'll run horribly for several minutes obd1 reman engine PCM has been sent out twice also no longer available new fuel injectors new fuel pump new mass air flow new O2 sensor new iac plugs wires coils crank sensor new ignition module perfect fuel pressure engine vacuum and compression no codes thanking the PCM is intermittently not controlling the timing
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Snapon88.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #26466 by Snapon88
Please help point me in a Direction so I can quit doing circles

More
5 years 3 months ago #26501 by Rev Scott
It's not a bad idea to check the exhaust back pressure when its heated up and acting bad. If the last engine had a catastrophic failure you could be dealing with a contaminated catalytic converter.

But, if that is not the case, the next thing I'd do is scope your crank signal and make sure its not breaking up or fading out once the truck gets warm.
If I remember correctly those trucks were fussy about the Crank Sensor air gap being just right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 3 months ago #26507 by Doc n2mx
HI,
I think that that Scott may have your answer the crank sensor.
My question is did you test the fuel system under load or static? If it was just a static test is no good. You always do testing under load. You also told us you only tested ½ of the fuel system you need to do a volume test as well. I also hope you have good gas.

My other thought is that you have plugged and unplugged the PCM a lot I would check the pins to make sure you did not damage them and for fit. My other Question is what was the original problem?

You put a lot of parts on so I am confused of what the first issue was. Let us knw what you find!

Good Luck

Doc

More
5 years 3 months ago #26518 by Snapon88
So I originally took this job on after another shop had it it came to me on a tow truck all tooken apart owner wanted new engine installed engine was taken apart and timing belt off so I ordered a brand new remanufactured engine to install then owner wanted every input and output sensor replaced catalytic converter and fuel pump he also sent the transmission out to be rebuilt I put this vehicle all back together with all new everything it left for 2 days came back to me I've had this thing for 6 months trying to find out what's going on I've been a Master Certified ASE technician since 97 I've had a lot of vehicles with my hand in but a little time and effort I could always figure them out this one has really got me stumped .PCM is no longer available and I don't know how to hundred percent say that it is the PCM it will start up and run horrible for a couple minutes then run fine for a couple minutes back and forth hot or cold don't matter no check engine light I have good grounds good 5-volt references good fuel pressures good vacuum good compression cylinder leak down it's all there it's just like the computer intermittently decides to turn the timing down or up and then it starts missing

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds