Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

BMW E92 02 sensor possible problem.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26374 by steve86
Hi Paul and everyone. I'm Steve from the UK.

Paul I would just like to say a massive thank you for all the information and videos you put up for us all on a daily basis. If it weren't for your expertise I certainly wouldn't have a idea about cars.

I have a BMW e92 N43 engine and I had the exhaust welded as I had a severe leak. This was located between the upstream and downstream o2's. I have no errors on the car at present but know the car is not running correctly. My Ltft's are at 9% idle. Decrease with higher RPM to hear enough perfect. I selected all o2's on scan tool and my upstream both seem to stay at 1.999 max rich and the downstreams are 0.000v. If I blip the upstream they do move but stay at the high end and the downstreams sit around 700. As soon as I release the RPM they max out again.

Am I thinking correct, that my upstream's are dead and that's why my downstreams and ltft are where they are?

Thank you, would be very grateful for some information.

Kind regards
Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26377 by Tyler
Hey steve86, welcome!

Based on what I know about BMW air/fuel sensors, I'm guessing you're looking at a severe lean condition at idle. 1.999 would actually indicate a lean condition, and the downstream sensors reading 0V would confirm that. Getting a reaction from the sensors off idle would suggest a vacuum leak. That would also suggest to me that the sensors are working and (probably) telling the truth.

Would it be possible for you to post screenshots of your scan data at idle and 2500?

As far as vacuum leaks, I don't believe we got the N43 in the US, so I have no experience with it. :( Visual inspection on the intake and PCV tubing would be a good start. Also check for excessive vacuum in the crankcase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
5 years 1 month ago #26381 by steve86
Thank you Tyler for your quick reply. I had it in my head that the 1.999 was rich for some reason. I will certainly post up some screenshots. If the exhaust repair was not sealed correctly could this effect the upstream sensors running lean also?

Kind regards
Steve

More
5 years 1 month ago #26383 by Tyler

steve86 wrote: If the exhaust repair was not sealed correctly could this effect the upstream sensors running lean also?

Eh, it's possible? But they'd have had to do a fairly horrible job of fixing it. :lol: In my experience, exhaust leaks need to be HUGE and within inches of the sensor to have a significant impact. Honestly, if the car doesn't sound like a two stroke at idle, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. ;)

More
5 years 1 month ago #26391 by steve86
Here's some attached pics of idle and 2500 rpm. Thanks.
Attachments:

More
5 years 1 month ago #26392 by steve86
Some more attachments.
Attachments:

More
5 years 1 month ago #26393 by steve86
Some more. Thanks.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26394 by Paul6004
I'm just wondering if the oxygen sensors were removed to do the welding and whether welding could damage them or not?

More
5 years 1 month ago #26395 by Tyler
Thanks for the shots! :cheer:

Some of the captures show an improvement off idle? But then some don't. :silly: I see what you mean about the upstream air/fuel sensors at idle, too. They're showing very lean. Can you confirm that the LOOP PID shows Closed at idle?

I also see the MAF g/s reading at idle is low, which may suggest a pirate air or vacuum leak issue.

It would also seem that there's an issue with the B2S2 O2 sensor, as it shows over 1V at all times. I don't believe this is related to your issue, but may be worth investigating after we clear up the lean condition.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26396 by steve86
Hi Paul,

The condition was the same with the car before the exhaust was repaired with the leak.

This is really throwing me, the percentage seems to be rising to.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26397 by Paul6004

Tyler wrote: It would also seem that there's an issue with the B2S2 O2 sensor, as it shows over 1V at all times. I don't believe this is related to your issue, but may be worth investigating after we clear up the lean condition.

Question: If some vehicles also use sensor 2 to adjust fuel trims could a fault with sensor 2 reading wrong cause the ecu to over-ride sensor 1 trims causing them to show lean - since the ECU is doing what it needs to get sensor 2 reading right?

More
5 years 1 month ago #26398 by steve86
Thanks Tyler.

That B2S2 O2 does drop eventually to react the same as the other but takes time to do so.

The car does seem lumpy. I can confirm they are in closed loop.

It seems to be getting worse as it was 9%. Now getting to 14 and 15%.

With the Air/Fuel sensors do they react opposite to those of normal o2's?

More
5 years 1 month ago #26400 by steve86
Paul, that was exacting what I wanted to find out to. Could it be that the 02's are throwing the others out in turn messing the fuel trims.

Cheers guys for your replies I'm very grateful. : )

More
5 years 1 month ago #26402 by Tyler

Paul6004 wrote:

Tyler wrote: It would also seem that there's an issue with the B2S2 O2 sensor, as it shows over 1V at all times. I don't believe this is related to your issue, but may be worth investigating after we clear up the lean condition.

Question: If some vehicles also use sensor 2 to adjust fuel trims could a fault with sensor 2 reading wrong cause the ecu to over-ride sensor 1 trims causing them to show lean - since the ECU is doing what it needs to get sensor 2 reading right?

Sure! Downstream fuel control is totally a thing some makes/models do. But, in this case, I don't think that's what's going on. In the first set of pictures, both banks are trimmed around 14% positive. B1S2 is showing lean, but B2S2 is beyond full rich. If the ECU was chasing the downstream sensors, I figure the bank one trims would be maxed positive, and the downstream would be maxed negative.

I dunno about BMW, specifically, but I usually find that downstream fuel control systems don't start working until the engine is off idle and the car is cruising down the road. Just my experience. :)

That B2S2 O2 does drop eventually to react the same as the other but takes time to do so.

Then it may be that the B2S2 heater is weak, or the PCM doesn't run it's heater until other conditions are met. Either way, I don't believe the downstream sensors are skewing the others. If you wanted to make sure, you could unplug both downstream sensors and recheck the trims.

With the Air/Fuel sensors do they react opposite to those of normal o2's?

Yep! In your case, I'm reasonably sure that positive current represents a lean condition, and negative represents a rich condition. You can confirm this by adding fuel to the intake (propane, carb clean, whatever) and watch the upstream sensors. Both should go negative.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26405 by steve86
Hi Tyler,

Thanks for your feedback. So it would be worth putting propane into intake and see results. Where would be best to put it in?

If it riches up, o2s confirmed fine and as you stated vacuum needs to be found. I'll have to give the water test a go. I'll also unplug the downstreams. Am I write in saying that they should both be 4.50v once unplugged Or is that manufacturer specific?

I have only just started studying the motor trade as I have a massive interest in it. So grateful to Paul Danner and you all for all the info at hand. I have so much more reading and watching to do. Cheers guys!!!

More
5 years 1 month ago #26408 by Tyler

steve86 wrote: Thanks for your feedback. So it would be worth putting propane into intake and see results. Where would be best to put it in?

Somewhere behind the MAF, preferably. TBH, since I've never had eyes on your engine, it's tough to recommend a specific location. :blush: Assuming there's a rubber tube between the MAF and the throttle body, you could loosen the clamp and get the tube off enough to spray some cleaner in.

The brake booster hose is another option? But the last time I tried this on a BMW, I couldn't get the fitting out of the booster. :silly: German plastics are a liability, so try not to disturb them if you don't have to.

While you're there, try checking for crankcase vacuum with the engine running. Pull the oil fill cap off and cover the opening with your hand. If it tries to suck your hand in, there's a problem. If you feel some gentle suction, don't worry about it for now.

I'll also unplug the downstreams. Am I write in saying that they should both be 4.50v once unplugged Or is that manufacturer specific?

It's definitely manufacturer specific, and I have no idea what BMW uses for a bias voltage. Or if they use one at all. :lol: If you wouldn't mind, could you take a shot of the scan data with the sensors unplugged? So we have a known good open circuit reading.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26411 by steve86
Thanks Tyler I'll do all that and will post up my findings.

If there is a lot of pressure there what is usually the problem?

I did notice that my IAT temperature was near 30 Celsius which was a lot higher than my usual reading. Our temp at the moment is around 5 Celsius.

Kind regards
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

More
5 years 1 month ago #26412 by Tyler

If there is a lot of pressure there what is usually the problem?

A lot of vacuum would suggest a PCV problem, sucking air out of the crankcase though the engine gaskets and seals. I mention that because BMW's (and most German makes) have issues with their PCV systems sticking open and causing excessive vacuum in the crankcase.

Excessive pressure would suggest a stuck closed valve, blockage or excessive piston ring blowby. Not likely, IMO.

I did notice that my IAT temperature was near 30 Celsius which was a lot higher than my usual reading. Our temp at the moment is around 5 Celsius.

That may not be unusual, depending on where the measurement is taken, and if the engine was warmed up when you noted that reading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

More
5 years 1 month ago #26427 by steve86
Hi Tyler,

I checked for excessive vacuum at the oil cap and can confirm there is only very little. Woukd seem normal, not excessive.

Under load the car o2s work and fuel trims lower. It has to be a vacuum. Im wonsering if the exhaust outlet gaskets mat have been disturbed during the welding maybe.

I'm not much aware if the PCV what is it and what does it do?

The car did gave to turn a few more cranks than usual this morning? Any indications.

Thanks.

Kind regards
Steve.

More
5 years 1 month ago #26435 by Tyler
With the O2's working off idle, I agree you're on track for a vacuum leak or unmetered air. The ScannerDanner water test might be a good move. ;) I'll find a video link for you in a bit.

The PCV system is all about taking crankcase gasses (combustion gasses that bypass the piston rings, plus vaporized crankcase oil), and directing them into the intake to be burned along with the normal flow of air and fuel. It's an emissions control system, which is legally mandated in the US, and I'm guessing it's mandated in most other countries.

You get issues with the PCV system when it either flows too much (behaving like a vacuum leak) or doesn't flow enough. Your test of crankcase pressure with you hand generally suggests your PCV system is OK. :cheer:

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds