Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid Driver Side Door Locks Not Working - Intermittent

More
5 years 4 months ago #25915 by darnold
we have a 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid - the door locks on front and rear driver side do not work from keyfob, but work from the lock switch inside driver side arm rest - INTERMITTENTLY When Using the Inside Door Lock Switch, you have to play with the switch a few times before it will unlock the door. We have to climb in PASSENGER SIDE and lean over to open the driver door. Also it does not lock when we use the keyfob, we have to manually push the little arm that flips out when the door is unlocked.

Saw many posts online from, OUTRAGED, Toyota customers, having the door lock actuator fail and replaced at an average COST OF $500 per door! Often numerous times, basically a little out of warranty, every other year, an actuator or 2 WILL FAIL AGAIN. One person said the dealer replaced the DOOR LOCK CONTROLLER, at a cost of $2500 PLUS LABOR!!!

The actuator is actually COMBINATION LATCH (With Actuator INSIDE) - and its a square connector with 6 pins. Apparently 2 pins +/- for the actuator and 4 other pins for sensors, i.e. DOOR LATCHED OPEN/CLOSED and LOCKED/UNLOCKED. But I have not seen the diagrams yet.

Hoping someone could lend inside how to fix this at an affordable rate. Autozone lists the latch/actuators for $261 with a Limited Lifetime Warranty. I am thinking to go that route if I can verify the switch and controller are fine and its simply the ACTUATOR/LATCH ASSEMBLY is FAILING.

Please advise. Thanks Guys!

~~~~ Here are clips from other toyota owners. this same issue between 2011-2015 Toyota's, Tundras, Camrys etc) ~~~~
2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid Door Lock Actuator Stopped Working ...
The 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid has 1 problems reported for door lock actuator stopped working. Average repair cost is $500 at 42,000 miles.
www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Camry_Hybri...topped_working.shtml
www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Camry/2011/...malfunctioning.shtml

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25917 by cheryl hartkorn
youd have to put a test light across door lock actuator motor pins and make sure it lights when hitting the key fob. if it lights the actuator is going bad

More
5 years 4 months ago #25936 by darnold
okay, yeah, I will give that a shot. I found some wiring diagrams at the library website. There are 2 wires for the motor, both sides of are grounded until the body control module energize the associated Relay which flips 12volts to one wire or the other for the Lock Actuator motor. Separate relays for lock and unlock. I notice that there are a total of 4 relays, - 1 relay to LOCK ALL-DOORS. and for UNLOCK 1 Relay for driver front only and a 2nd relay to UNLOCK remaining 3 doors, I think its so first unlock command should only open the drivers door, and a second unlock command will unlock the remaining 3 doors.

However, noticing this arrangment of the relays, the fact that both driver and passenger side doors do not unlock or lock, I do feel that its the actuator vs, control relays, because the fact that 1 relay opens/unlocks both passenger doors and rear drivers door, so if the passenger doors are unlocking and locking but drivers side doors are not unlocking nor locking, then its seems like both actuators on driver side are bad. And since a single LOCK relay powers all for doors then I would be willing to bet that the control system and relays are functioning fine and only either there is an open circuit somewhere between both driver side actuators and the relays, or possibly a loose gound wire on that side.

I will do some testing and see. The service test procedure for the keyless entry system is fairly complex and long winded to read. There are wireless and touch sensors in the door handles and wireless proximity sensors on both front door handles and trunk lid, There are also sensors on the dash, glove box, and under the front floor carpet and also the trunk floor. Those prevent accidentally locking the keys inside the car form the outside door handle touch sensors apparently.

I think a powerprobe IV or The hook sensor would be great for testing this but I know I could easily use a testlight or voltmeter as suggested.

The repair manual mentions using A SCAN TOOL CALLED TECHSTREAM. which can see the status of ever switch lock and sensor on the keyless entry door lock system. Sounds neat but expensive. Anybody know of affordable universal tools that can do this? It says to connect it to the DLC3 plug and with the ignition off to simulate car off lock/unlock testing - you touch the dome light switch repeatedly every 1.5 seconds to initiate the data link.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds