Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 timing chain bad?

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #25902 by kris.sondors
96 Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 customer complains that the vehicle will randomly stall. After doing a test drive I noticed it did it when the engine would go to an idle so when coming to a stop or reversing out if a parking lot it would sometimes stall. Fuel and ignition system checked out, same with compression test. The engine had 280k miles on the original engine. Anyways, hooked up my scanner and compared the cam and crank counts together on the graph and I noticed that they don't align or stay synced. Is this because of the timing chain being loose or could it be something electrical like pcm, sensors, or wiring? Thanks for looking over this!

Video of the issue

streamable.com/yelwe
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by kris.sondors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25904 by Paul6004
It could be as simple as an idle control valve - if this vehicle has one that is.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25907 by kris.sondors

Paul6004 wrote: It could be as simple as an idle control valve - if this vehicle has one that is.

It's does have one, however the IAC step count matches the requested IAC steps. If forgot to mention, the jeep runs on the rougher side and shakes at certain rpms

More
5 years 4 months ago #25918 by cheryl hartkorn
sounds like you have a dropping out crank or cam sensor. you have a scope?

More
5 years 4 months ago #25923 by kris.sondors

cheryl hartkorn wrote: sounds like you have a dropping out crank or cam sensor. you have a scope?

Unfortunately no....

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds