Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

FIXED 2000 pathfinder NATS

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #25863 by Scannerfanner
My son lost his only key to his Pathfinder, and had a key cut at Nissan without being sure if he had a chipped key. Now the car is at Nissan, weren’t able to program a key because of the non-chipped key attempt he’s locked out of the ECU.
Because of expenses involved he’s down to parting out a working car....
What would be a logical next step??

Thanks
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Scannerfanner. Reason: Fixed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25908 by chief eaglebear
I looked in tsbs there is a keyless programming procedure using consult 2 whatever that is I looked at schematic of body controls for doors I guess its got a smart entry system with a corresponding module for doors and windows with the chirps and all maybe you can program the key yourself if you can get ahold of a consult 2 ... just my shot in the dark apart from removing smart module completely and making everything manual lol im kinda stumped on this SD but I had to try

More
5 years 4 months ago #25924 by Scannerfanner
Replied by Scannerfanner on topic 2000 pathfinder NATS
Thanks Chief, I don’t have access to consult. The car is at a Nissan dealer, what it boils down to is a locked up ECU difficult to unlock to be able to program the new key.

The dealer service writer says it’s complicated, and i’m Looking for a second opinion. I doubt there are any comm issues, the truck was working fine until he lost the key....
There probably is a work-around but I don’t have time or proper resources to do this.

I appreciate your input!
Cheers

More
5 years 4 months ago #25932 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:2000 pathfinder NATS
I don't have much to add to this besides Consult is the Nissan oem scan tool. Latest version is consult 3+. I know some aftermarket tools can program keys but I'm not sure about this lockout issue. Maybe the case where someone with the locksmith license could help?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

More
5 years 4 months ago #25957 by chief eaglebear
ok I figured it out the answer is tell your son not to lose his keys lol!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scannerfanner

More
5 years 3 months ago #26144 by Scannerfanner
Thanks, I’ve been trying to make him understand certain things since birth, I’ve realized it’s easier to fix the immobiliser!!!

More
5 years 3 months ago #26145 by Scannerfanner
I’ve brought the pathfinder to my shop from the dealer, I will try and see which circuits are cut out by the immobiliser, and try simple stuff like making sure the fuel pump and injectors are getting power, same thing with spark circuit, maybe the immobiliser simply cuts the hot feed, not the control. The starter is cranking.
I’ve got to check, they may have been able to program the key, there is a simple procedure to get the ECU out of lockout mode with a programmed key.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #26147 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic 2000 pathfinder NATS
Modern immobilizers are highly complex to bypass - not just a matter of supplying feeds to circuits.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Desmond6004.

More
5 years 3 months ago #26164 by Scannerfanner
Quite probable. I’ll poke around without modding or cutting stuff. I’ll treat it as a crank/no start, got nothing to lose anyway, I can fall back on a proper locksmith.

More
5 years 3 months ago #26266 by fahead32
Replied by fahead32 on topic 2000 pathfinder NATS
what scan tool do you have access too? A cheap Obdstar tool can help you with the Nats . The code for that year is 5523

More
5 years 3 months ago #26271 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic 2000 pathfinder NATS
Just did a 2004 Infinity that had a bad ECM driver for the throttle body. Customer supplied a used ECM and I was able to program the NATS system with the push of a button on the Auro/Autel that I've been showing you guys. And I did not have to connect to the internet or a factory Nissan website to do it.
Video upcoming. It also had other issues as well but I won't spill the beans there just yet.

Don't be a parts changer!

More
5 years 3 months ago #26293 by Scannerfanner
Thanks for the replies. I don’t have proper scan tools available, I don’t use these in my day to day work. I am looking at different options for these like the Nexas NL102P (thanks for the heads up Desmond6004) but I can’t justify spending the money for a tool that will let me program keys
I spoke to the service writer at the dealership (who I know from his previous job) and he told me the tech was able to program the key so I treated it as a no-start which is great for learning diagnosis (diagnosises? Diagnosii?) BUT the NATS is definitely active, the security lamp is lit while cranking. It controls injection, I was actually making the car cough while backprobing the control side of the injectors with my test light.
I disconnected the battery overnight, and the next day the car ran for a few seconds before the NATS kicked in, so I’m confident the rest of electronics are working good.
** what I don’t understand is the key codes (5523)are all the same those years so what is there to program anyway??**

I told the dealer there is something wrong with the key programming and they’ll take care of me as this has already been paid for, I’ll have to tow the car back to them once I take care of smaller issues, brake lines etc.

I think I should also check different sensors on the car which may be fooling the NATS into thinking somebody is tampering with doors or other protected components, does this make sense??

Thanks for your help

More
5 years 3 months ago #26678 by Scannerfanner
A friend of a friend came to my shop, he does remote starters and such, with a Autel mx808 was able to code the key to the ECU.
First he tried through the DLC connector but this didn’t work. He then came back with the cable adaptor to connect the rectangular Nissan connector, and was able to program then.

I suspect when the dealer tried to program the key he was also connected through the DLC instead of the rectangular connector.
Thanks to everybody for chipping in!

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds