Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Bleeding brakes on Highlander hybrid

More
5 years 3 months ago #25842 by Tutti57
So I made a boo boo last night with my wife's car and didn't check to see if there was a special procedure to bleed these brakes, and there is! Well I skipped an important step and now am stuck.

You are supposed to remove the abs relays so it doesn't pump air in the accumulator. Now I have air in the accumulator. The manual says to use a pressure bleeder, which I have at work, but I'm at home without it and trying to get the car ready for work tomorrow. I'm not sure a vacuum style would work in this case. There is a bleeder valve bon top of the accumulator. Parts stores are open today and I have the pump part of the tool, just not the adapter I need. I was trying to locate a cap that I could turn into an adapter but it's a dealer part.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #25848 by Andy.MacFadyen
A quick bodge the might work is to open the bleed nipple and push the pads back.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 3 months ago #25851 by Tyler
I went digging in the Troubleshooter for more info, and I see what you mean about the ABS relays. :silly:

So, now that you know to remove them, can you not just perform the bleed procedure as normal? There's also options in the scanner for actuator and master cylinder removal. Maybe one of those is the ticket?

More
5 years 3 months ago #25852 by Tutti57
Yeah, now that I'm reading it again, I don't think I have air in the actuator since that reservoir never got low to allow air in the hose. I think I just have to follow the procedure as Tyler said, starting over. I may have to do the front and back.

I'll report back later. Thanks!

More
5 years 3 months ago #25861 by Tutti57
All is good. I'm not sure what was going on before. The bleeding procedure was the same except at the end you have to zero down the accumulator, a scan tool function.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
5 years 3 months ago #25865 by Tyler
It's a goofy hydraulic system, that's what was going on! :silly: Well done.

What scanner did you use? Just for anyone searching later.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26902 by Tutti57
Sorry, I missed this one. I used a scanpad 071 by launch.

I've actually switched my flush/bleed style over to a vacuum set up. I have a fluid evacuation pump that you can manually pump or use shop air and I put a brake Bleeder attachment on the end to suck brake fluid and it works awesome.

I'm thinking that this all would have been avoided if I used that since pressing the brake pedal is what activates tge weird stuff on this car.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26911 by Tyler
No worries!

Tutti57 wrote: I've actually switched my flush/bleed style over to a vacuum set up. I have a fluid evacuation pump that you can manually pump or use shop air and I put a brake Bleeder attachment on the end to suck brake fluid and it works awesome.

This is exactly what I do. :cheer: Though, I usually find that I have to give each wheel one manual bleed each, just to get the last of the air out? Is this your experience, or do I just suck at it?

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds