Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Vehicle revs when when downshifting (stick shift)

More
5 years 3 months ago #25611 by Dtnel
2000 Ford Ranger 2.5 , 2 wheel dr 154k miles, manual trans.

Have the above vehicle I'll be looking at. Got a call from the owner the other day and he said when he pushes the clutch in to downshift the vehicle revs up. I haven't seen, looked at or did anything with this vehicle yet.

Just trying to get into thinking mode and get a few ideas from guys who probably see a lot more Ford's than I do.

No check engine light either the owner stated so it seems something is starting to fail but hasn't or may not even trigger a code.

I'll let you guys throw some ideas at me so I can start thinking about it. If anyone has or knows of any threads anywhere that covers this issue or can give me some direction to start with that would be great.

I normally don't play with Ford's. The only Ford stuff I've did was on the sister truck to this one that this guy owns. Yes he owns 2 and only drives one. This one had been at a shop for a timing belt awhile back but he said he's been driving it for about 3-4 weeks and it just started recently in the last week.

I won't see this vehicle till after Christmas this week. It does have a throttle cable so it's still mechanical in that aspect.

Have a merry Xmas to all!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #25617 by Tyler
Hey Dtnel! I think this TSB is right up your alley:

File Attachment:

File Name: rangertps.pdf
File Size:37 KB

I'm not sure exactly what they're trying to combat here, besides a "poor connection". My guess would be that excessive resistance is causing the Throttle Position state to change from C/T (closed) to P/T (partially open) when the throttle is actually closed. This'll cause the PCM to open up the IAC, and you get a high idle. The same thing may also be causing the PCM to incorrectly learn the closed throttle value of the TPS.

The TSB also doesn't say what the kit includes. :silly: Gonna guess they want you to replace the TPS and the pigtail.

The throttle state PID (C/T, P/T and all that) will only exist on the OEM side. There is no Global equivalent. As always, Ford closed throttle TPS is less than 1.0V, typically closer to .9V.

That's all the speculation I got! :lol: Let us know what you find.
Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago #25618 by Tyler

Dtnel wrote: The only Ford stuff I've did was on the sister truck to this one that this guy owns. Yes he owns 2 and only drives one. This one had been at a shop for a timing belt awhile back but he said he's been driving it for about 3-4 weeks and it just started recently in the last week.

This is a basic requirement for Ford ownership. :lol: #Noah

Merry Christmas!

More
5 years 3 months ago #25632 by Dtnel

Tyler wrote: Hey Dtnel! I think this TSB is right up your alley:

File Attachment:

File Name: rangertps.pdf
File Size:37 KB

I'm not sure exactly what they're trying to combat here, besides a "poor connection". My guess would be that excessive resistance is causing the Throttle Position state to change from C/T (closed) to P/T (partially open) when the throttle is actually closed. This'll cause the PCM to open up the IAC, and you get a high idle. The same thing may also be causing the PCM to incorrectly learn the closed throttle value of the TPS.

The TSB also doesn't say what the kit includes. :silly: Gonna guess they want you to replace the TPS and the pigtail.

The throttle state PID (C/T, P/T and all that) will only exist on the OEM side. There is no Global equivalent. As always, Ford closed throttle TPS is less than 1.0V, typically closer to .9V.

That's all the speculation I got! :lol: Let us know what you find.

Thanks Tyler!! Wish the wife would at least let me go scan it on the way out of town but I learned many years ago that when she says it's time to go to her mother's for Christmas that you just go. My dad lives in Hawaii so I can't say we have time to get to my family so it's off to her mother's house we go.

At least I'll have something to study and "Theorize" for till I get back to find it's only something different.

More
5 years 3 months ago #25633 by Dtnel

Tyler wrote:
This is a basic requirement for Ford ownership. :lol: #Noah

Merry Christmas!

I've always been Chevy and Toyota. :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #27705 by Dtnel
Yes this was the one with the cracked piston.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds