Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

no start condition

More
5 years 3 months ago #25437 by emo666
no start condition was created by emo666
my favorite 1989 Bronco II is acting up again--no start after running good for 2 days after taken out of storage for the summer. 2.9 engine with hidden distributor. rebuilt 3 years ago with new module but not hall effect unit. Had issue last year with running ruff --solved that issue by removing all injectors cleaning them with carb cleaner and 9 volt battery. Ran like new till now. Doing the coil test with test light to the unplugged negative (dark green wire) side of connector . No blinking ---BUT- test light dims while cranking --checked with voltmeter and voltage while cranking is dropping to 9 volts to coil.
is this normal ??? p.s. I was using a remote starter not thru the key ignition in car to do test.
I do have a steady 35 lbs fuel pressure which has been normal for this vehicle
Another thing I didn't understand was with the test light positive on battery positive-- if I probed the positive side of the coil connector I got a light also--is this --is this normal??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #25439 by emo666
Replied by emo666 on topic no start condition

emo666 wrote: my favorite 1989 Bronco II is acting up again--no start after running good for 2 days after taken out of storage for the summer. 2.9 engine with hidden distributor. rebuilt 3 years ago with new module but not hall effect unit. Had issue last year with running ruff --solved that issue by removing all injectors cleaning them with carb cleaner and 9 volt battery. Ran like new till now. Doing the coil test with test light to the unplugged negative (dark green wire) side of connector . No blinking ---BUT- test light dims while cranking --checked with voltmeter and voltage while cranking is dropping to 9 volts to coil.
is this normal ??? p.s. I was using a remote starter not thru the key ignition in car to do test.
I do have a steady 35 lbs fuel pressure which has been normal for this vehicle
Another thing I didn't understand was with the test light positive on battery positive-- if I probed the positive side of the coil connector I got a light also--is this --is this normal??

No codes shown

More
5 years 3 months ago #25442 by Nick338
Replied by Nick338 on topic no start condition
I assume is does not have spark? if not you can check pip wire at ign module

More
5 years 3 months ago #25448 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic no start condition

emo666 wrote: checked with voltmeter and voltage while cranking is dropping to 9 volts to coil.
is this normal ???

Battery voltage drops to about 10v while cranking and a 1v drop in the ignition circuit isn't too extreme so it is reasonably 'normal' :)

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.

• Chad
  • Away
  • I am not a parts changer.
More
5 years 3 months ago #25452 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic no start condition

emo666 wrote: with the test light positive on battery positive-- if I probed the positive side of the coil connector I got a light also--is this --is this normal??

Was this with the key ON? Or, OFF?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds