Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Circuit Error on PCM

More
5 years 4 months ago #25281 by dusk1911
Hey All,

I'm new here and came to know about the site from the youtube videos and though here is the only caliber of people that can help me.

Im having a 2008 Ford Explorer that i just did an engine swap for. the engine wiring harness was in a bad shape due to age, it had a 5v reference voltage error which was fixed. It also required a new ECU which was changed.

We are now getting a lot of circuit errors from various modules on the PCM, Many mechanics are clueless and i am slowly turning into a part changer. I dont have a wiring diagram and its really guess work now.

Attached are all the images from the Diag tools, if someone can please point me somewhere i'd appreciate it a lot.

I am from Dubai and the caliber here is not something that i can see it getting it fixed.

Thanks

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25283 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Circuit Error on PCM
Hey dusk1911, welcome! :cheer: In situations like this, it can be beneficial to clear codes and see which comes come back first. Do all those codes come back immediately? Or do some come back sooner than others? From the codes that come back immediately, I'll usually pick the one that's most accessible and start my testing there.

You didn't say if this Exploder has the 4.0L or the 4.6L? It matters for the wiring diagrams. Which, BTW, you can find here for free ;)

www.bbbind.com/free-tsb

Taking a quick look at the 4.0L diagram, I see that fuse #42 (15A) in the Battery Junction Box (underhood) powers the O2 heaters, purge valve, and EGR valve. If you haven't already, it'd be a good idea to verify that fuse with a test light. Maybe do the same for all other fuses while you're at it. :silly: Weird stuff happens when engines get swapped.

Let me know which codes come back first, and which engine you have.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25328 by Doc n2mx
Replied by Doc n2mx on topic Circuit Error on PCM
HI
I see that you changed out PCM are you sure that its for your engine?
If so I would do as some one stated clear all codes and see what comes back. I have a feeling that you need to check all powers and grounds start at the PCM .
Next check to see if you have your ref vot +/- 5 vdc. If not un plug all that use that 5 vdc ref and check to see if your 5 vdc is there plug in one at a time and keep checking ref voltage. If you have that working You may have to re-flash the PCM

this is a good starting point good luck

Doc

More
5 years 4 months ago #25377 by dusk1911
Replied by dusk1911 on topic Circuit Error on PCM
Thanks for the response guys. Should have mentioned it's a 4.0L. The reference voltage error is fixed. It's now like there is something shorting the entire PCM circuit or at least whatever is on the errors. Unfortunately I am not good with these things but trying my best here.

So just to clarify .. if I test the modules on the 5V is that to tell me if there is a short on the PCM or where you referring the the short on the 5v ?

Btw all the errors come back at once not one by one.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25378 by Doc n2mx
Replied by Doc n2mx on topic Circuit Error on PCM
I think you have a problem with the PCM . is it new and was it programmed?
Do you have your 5 volt ref ?
if so I would start looking at all grounds and powers to PCM .
re check your plug to the PCM make sure all the pins are ok.
Next I would be looking at the fuse box and harness.
Doc

More
5 years 4 months ago #25384 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Circuit Error on PCM

dusk1911 wrote: Thanks for the response guys. Should have mentioned it's a 4.0L. The reference voltage error is fixed. It's now like there is something shorting the entire PCM circuit or at least whatever is on the errors.

Thanks for the clarification! :cheer: I dunno that anything shorting anything out at this point? You need to start with voltage measurements at one of the outputs listed in your codes, or by checking that fuse I noted earlier.

Pick the easiest one to access and go from there. ;) The EGR valve is right there on top.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25390 by dusk1911
yeah, thats exactly what im going to do today. Will keep you guys posted

More
5 years 4 months ago #25410 by dusk1911
So I checked some voltages and at the o2 it's .92 .. this lead me to think that the ECU is not flashed correctly. (I had a feeling the guy was dishonest) so I've put back the old ecu and I can communicate to it fine. But when I try to start the car the pats kick in and won't let me start the car. I have both the original keys, is there a way I can manually program the keys to the old ecu ?

Sorry for the stupid question but I've never flashed an ecu in my life but all I can do Is the old school way

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds