Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Mercedes crank sensor

More
5 years 5 months ago #24989 by Ian85
Mercedes crank sensor was created by Ian85
Hi, I'm working on a 1999 Mercedes clk 320. The car had been to another garage for intermittent cutting out and refusing to restart until cold. The garage fitted a new crank sensor but then the car wouldn't start at all. The customer then brought the car to me.
I did some quick checks this evening, the car has no spark or injector pulse . It has voltage at the coils and injectors and also has it reference voltage at the cam sensor.
I put my scope on the crank sensor (it a 2wire magnetic type). And as soon as the ignition is on the voltage reads around 8v (is this a bias voltage?) then when I turn the engine over there is a weak signal with only around 0.3v amplitude and this is all happening around the 8volt mark.
I'm new to using a scope and testing these parts and I'm not sure about what I'm seeing, I'm guessing I should see more amplitude in the signal and suspecting a incorrect or faulty cps sensor. Can anyone please give me some advice here before I order a new sensor?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #24995 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic Mercedes crank sensor
Most 2 wire sensors don't have any voltage to them - but there is a fair amount of variety in this industry and some weird systems around. I've seen a Mercedes with magnets on the crankshaft to add to the pulses. I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram - sometimes components share a common earth and if it loses that earth weird things happen. Perhaps check engine earths.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Desmond6004.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #25045 by spit64
Replied by spit64 on topic Mercedes crank sensor
this is from an inductive crank sensor 2 wire I thin kit is like yours
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by spit64.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25046 by spit64
Replied by spit64 on topic Mercedes crank sensor
Do you connect both tests probes to the sensor? I guess you can't use another ground it has to be connected to the sensor

More
5 years 5 months ago #25072 by Paul P.
Replied by Paul P. on topic Mercedes crank sensor
The Spec on this 2 wire Magneto-type CKP is 7.5-9.0 Volts AC(Can also be checked with a DVOM too.)

It very well may have a bias voltage on it, unplug the sensor with KOEO, check voltage level on either wire, if voltage is present, it is a bias voltage and that will also be the signal wire. The other is sensor ground.

About the scope, change your settings from DC to AC for the channel you are using, you'll see a picture very similar to the one that is posted on this thread.

Yes, you connect the scope to both the wires on the sensor, you'll get full amplitude waveform, connect to an alternate ground and the amplitude of the waveform is decreased.(if I remember correctly about the decreasing part).

In the posted waveform you'll see the large 'gap' 4 times, that is the reference to #1 Cylinder at TDC.

Never stop Learning.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #25078 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic Mercedes crank sensor
(duplicate - already answered)

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Desmond6004. Reason: duplicate

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds