Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Saturn SC1 - 1.9L 4-116 SOHC - P0410

More
5 years 5 months ago #24789 by TomPearce
Hello,

I recently bought a 2001 Saturn SC1 from a lien sale and have been fixing it up. The last issue that I need to fix is the P0410 code for the secondary air injection system. I have done a lot of research on this issue, and found some great videos and such for my specific car. I have worked through them but am still a little stuck. Let me go through what I've already done.

I have checked that the air pump is working properly, the hose from the pump to the diverter is free of obstruction. The solenoid has two vacuum tubes that come of of it, one to the diverter and one to the TBI. Both have vacuum. Some air comes out of the diverter valve, but not a lot. The metal tube that goes from the diverter to the exhaust manifold is clear of obstruction. I have removed the exhaust manifold and cleaned out the channel, as well as the air holes leading into the engine. I have replaced the O2 sensor.

I am thinking it might be the diverter valve itself. If I hook up a vacuum pump to the vacuum nozzle on it, it creates vacuum on the air pump side, and the exit port doesn't seem to be effected at all. I am a computer technician, not a mechanic, but it would seem to me that if vacuum is supposed to be applied to open the valve and allow air to flow from the pump to the exhaust manifold, that applying vacuum manually wouldn't be possible unless I was blocking both the intake port and the exit port.

Also, I am able to suck air in, and blow air out through the hose coming from the air pump, and both ways it goes to/comes from the vacuum nozzle.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24790 by cheryl hartkorn
do you have a scanner with bi directional controls to turn on the pump and diverter valve? id do that and look for the o2 sensors to go lean when there on. but if not you can watch the o2 sensors when the pump runs. i think your right thediverter valves should have plenty of air coming out of them while the pumpis on.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24799 by Tyler
I think you're correct in your suspicions about the diverter valve. With the pump on and the valve open, there should be tons of airflow going to the exhaust tube. If no amount of vacuum pumping will get it to flow, then it's done. :lol:

The one thing that bothers me is how both vacuum hoses at the solenoid have vacuum? :huh: I figured that the solenoid would be normally closed, and only open when secondary air is desired. Does the diverter valve have vacuum at all times? Or did I misunderstand?

More
5 years 5 months ago #24806 by Ben
I agree with Tyler the diverter valve is toast. But ensure the vsv only has vacuum coming through it when it is energized

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
5 years 5 months ago #25129 by TomPearce
The vacuum from the solenoid was only present while the air pump was engaged. I ordered the part and installed it, and the issue has been resolved. Finally got the car it's smog inspection and it's all good to go. Thank you guys for your responses.

More
5 years 5 months ago #25134 by Tyler
Very nice. B) Glad to hear it's all fixed up!

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds