Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Lexus LS430 VVT fault codes

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #24681 by Paul6004
4293cc, 3UZFE V8 32v DOHC VVT MPFI {207KW}.
Fault codes are P1349 bank 1 VVT malfunction and P1354 regarding VVT on bank 2.
I have had our mechanic check cam timing after clearing fault codes and checking PWM at 22% at idle at the VVT solenoid.
Resistance of both solenoids is around 8 ohm.
After joining this forum I have been paying more attention to fuel trims so took a reading at 2500 rpm and idle - this scan tool can
only graph 3 items at once. Only bank 2 was showing long term fuel trims. The short term fuel trim for bank 1 was bouncing up and down to 20%. At idle everything dropped to zero.
After a while a "low oil level" warning came up on the dash. I'm wondering if it is actually a blockage problem with the oil system.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Paul6004.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #24686 by Andy.MacFadyen
VVT code on both banks would make me look at the oil first, VVT systems are really sensitive to oil level , oil grade and oil conditions.
I would try an oil and filter change using the correct grade synthetic oil , then if no immediate improvement as the VVT solenoids are relatively easy to get at try removing them and cleaning with carb or brake cleaner and if that dosen't work new solenoids.

Keep in mind it could be an oil pressure issue due to general wear and tear on the engine but less likely on a Lexus.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 6 months ago #24695 by Paul6004
Thanks Andy - I will look at that - it does have new oil though but not sure about the valves(dirt) condition so will pull them off. Since joining this (very useful) forum I am now paying more attention to fuel trims, I was concerned about the fact that bank 1 has no fuel trims. This morning I got it running and noticed that there are no fuel trims for bank 1 and no activity on the oxygen sensor so I will scope that next. Probably nothing to do with the problem at hand but I've also learned to never ignore an obvious fault because "a computer is as clever as the person who programmed it" so weird results do happen.
In my photo it can be seen that bank 1 O2 sensor is always at zero volts and zero fuel trim.
I will first pull out the VVT solenoids because there is evidence that work has recently been done on the head and there is gasket sealant all over - which could possibly be in the oil channels.
Attachments:

More
5 years 6 months ago #24696 by Paul6004
I removed both solenoids and gave the engine a crank while someone watched - as soon as the engine started oil billowed out of both channels. I remember a while ago doing this on a Subaru and the oil flow was in series, it came out of one until I put that solenoid back then it came out of the other one. On this engine obviously it is 'in parallel'. I will get the mechanic to do a full oil service.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24900 by Paul6004
It's been a while but the mechanic got around to doing an oil pressure test at the sensor by the oil filter. Then he did a full oil service and checked pressures again and saw about a 5 psi difference. Next we ran the engine and energized the solenoids one at a time and each time the engine almost stalled.
After clearing codes I ran the engine for a while and my scan tool showed 2 codes and one pending code. I checked freeze frame data and saw ECT was at -40 degrees. I found the ECT plug half off and pushed it in again hoping that this was the cause of the fault, the ECU expecting more movement at a different viscosity. Not to be - within 2 minutes of running the engine the two codes were back along with the pending code P1651 "VSV for ACIS circuit malfunction" - I'm wondering if that is due to a plug by the engine that looks like it used to be on something that is no longer there? The main issue at the moment is that the two codes P1349 and P1354 both return within a minute of idling.
I see a 12% duty cycle pulse at both solenoids at idle - when the wires were cut to energize the solenoids manually the both stopped getting their pulse suggesting that the circuit must be complete if the ECU can sense when it is open circuit.

Attachments:

More
5 years 5 months ago #24901 by Paul6004
In the middle-left of the picture there is a plug that looks well used - enough for the clip to be broken. there is a taped up air hose on the side of the intake box and then there is a hose going from the top of the manifold to the back of the manifold that doesn't make sense. I imagine this could all be related to something that should be there that isn't.
Attachments:

More
5 years 5 months ago #24902 by Paul6004
I just tried scoping the VVT solenoids again and both get pulsed at 12% duty cycle when I start it and then it starts hunting all the way up to 50% at which point it gives up, throws the two codes and settles at 12%. Suggesting that it isn't seeing the movement it wants to.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24929 by Paul6004
This morning I found the cam sensors, halfway between the injectors on either side. If I scope them both and activate the
one VVT solenoid at 100% duty cycle for a few seconds the engine runs rough and you can see the change in the gap between the two patterns. However I'm not sure the gap is as big as it should be?
Attachments:

More
5 years 5 months ago #24932 by Paul6004
I just did an experiment and cleared the codes and drove off without giving it a chance to idle. One code returned - P0340 "cam sensor bank 1".
The two VVT codes never returned at all while usually they return within 30 seconds of idling. I'm beginning to suspect cam timing was not checked properly.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24941 by Desmond6004
Ignore that last statement - I found the cam? sensor plug fallen off in front of the engine and after plugging it back in the VVT codes returned.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds