Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 6.0 Rough when returning to idle

More
5 years 6 months ago #24496 by DotterersAutoService
This must be the week of really strange things coming in the shop. I had a customer bring in a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 6.0 4x4 with 155,00 miles. Customer put a new GM throttle body on it. When towing or backing up it will intermittently stall or almost stall. I scoped the crank, cam, ign coil 1, injector 1 and you can see there is a random injector pulse that happens some times. Any idea what is causing this? Fuel trims are +-3% on both banks so I doubt its a fuel or vacuum issue. I also smoked the intake just to make sure and saw no viable leaks. Show .040" which is usually normal for an intake from what I have seen. In order to replicate the issue I have to keep taping the throttle or hold it at an rpm in rev then quickly let off. I also included a screenshot of the data pids. It only shows misfires when you let off the gas quickly. Keep in mind, none of this happens while moving, this is all with the brake on in gear. It also has new ac delco spark plugs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #24508 by Desmond6004
I would do a close inspection of the CAM sensor pattern. I've seen this kind of issue on the Honda Fit which has 8 coils[4cyl] when there is interference from a coil causing an induced pattern in the CAM sensor wiring . Every now and then the interference cuts the cam signal in half and the ECU thinks it's already time to inject for the next cylinder.
Another option if it is chain driven is wear/"stretched" cam chain and the slack only causes issues when the engine is slowing down.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Desmond6004.

More
5 years 6 months ago #24516 by juergen.scholl
Look at cam/crank relationship under acceleration and deceleration. Do a crank relearn.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
5 years 6 months ago #24520 by Tyler
I like Juergen's suggestion of doing the crank relearn on the scanner. Recheck for misses and symptoms afterwards. Make sure to tick all the boxes (parking brake on, engine temp, ect) when doing the relearn so it doesn't bounce you out.

I'd be very suspicious of the crank sensor itself, despite the lack of codes. They rust jack in their bores and cause all kinds of issues. Never had one come out cleanly - they ALWAYS break off. :lol: If you decide to replace it, bump your labor time a bit to allow for extraction.

What I really don't like is how the peaks of the cam and crank signals seems to waver. :unsure: You can see it in the zoomed out shot. Does the sensor supply circuit show the same pattern?

More
5 years 6 months ago #24526 by DotterersAutoService
Here is a video of the truck. When I hold the rpm up for 3 seconds or so and let off you can see it just dies. I will scope the power feed and ground later today. I figured with the sensors being 12v sensors you would see a rise and fall based on rpm. It happens on both sensors so I figured that was normal. I have almost no direct on this vehicle. Also if I did not mention when you cold start this vehicle around 59* it will run like it has a huge lopey cam for about 3 seconds then run fine. I have no idea why it doe this.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds