Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Ford focus 1.6 litre zetec se. Ignition miss.

More
7 years 6 months ago #3014 by Inge Jeppesen
New case here. Posting scope capture of the ignition primary current. Car misses at idle, and load. The coil is cracked, and this is a normal failure, but would appreciate an explanation if it shows on the capture. The amp clamp is in a 10mV\A setting.

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #3029 by Tyler
Dude, that's cool! :woohoo: Never seen that before. I want to say it's an excessive resistance problem? No clue, just speculating.

Nice thinking with the amp probe, too. I know I woulda found the cracked coil and gone on to the next car, never even thought about ramping it. :blush:

More
7 years 6 months ago #3030 by Inge Jeppesen
Don't you think that over 15 amps is a bit much? The other ramps are about 6 amps. At the beginning of the slope it seems fine. Then it acts like a short. Or am I wrong?

Thanks for the input☺

More
7 years 6 months ago #3052 by Tyler

Inge Jeppesen wrote: Don't you think that over 15 amps is a bit much? The other ramps are about 6 amps. At the beginning of the slope it seems fine. Then it acts like a short. Or am I wrong?

Thanks for the input☺

Crap! I didn't look at the voltage conversion :blush: Did I say resistance? I meant short ;)

Soooooo, the coil gets to a certain point of saturation, then shorts to itself?

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds