Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Waveform Diagnosis - I am all Ears.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #24207 by ginuwine11
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7L automatic w/AC
Misfires at Idle
DTC's: P0300, P0301
Equipment: Wyzeprobe, Picoscope 6 Automotive

Just started playing with my picoscope with a Wyzeprobe. I am gradually learning this, so any input would be greatly appreciated. This is a vehicle a friend has temporarily with a 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7 L , automatic w/ AC. DTC's set: P0300, P0301. I pulled this waveform off #1 COP at idle, I see that it is running lean and possibly some carbon tracking from coil itself. What does everyone else see?

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by ginuwine11.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #24231 by EricGoodrich
When I'm diagnosing misfires on one cylinder, I like to scope a few of the other cylinders for comparison. While there is an ideal secondary scope pattern, there are small, subtle differences from car to car. Definitely scope more than one for comparison. This is especially helpful when the misfire is subtle. Dead-hole misfires are more likely to have a secondary pattern that doesn't require comparison.

Also, in my experience, the best way to see burn voltage spike from a lean cylinder is to snap the throttle. At idle a lean cylinder may hide itself in a secondary ignition waveform.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ginuwine11

More
5 years 6 months ago #24246 by juergen.scholl
Your waveform shows a decent burnline and burntime. The coil got lots of energy left as shown by the ringing after the spark extinguishes.

I don't see indicators of a lean condition nor carbon tracking. A complete secondary analasys must include snap throttle. On some systems you can disconnect the injector and you will not see the fault at idle. Get used to the snap throttle test.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
5 years 6 months ago #24251 by Tyler
Agree with Juergen and Eric, no obvious faults so far. Sometimes that spike at the end of the burn line can show a lean? Some systems show that pattern on known good cylinders. :silly: As indicated, snap throttle is the ticket.

Definitely compare the firing line to other good cylinders. If this cylinder is low compared to others, you might be looking at an AWOL rocker arm. A quick audible relative compression test could confirm this.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24993 by ginuwine11
Thank you! I keep forgetting that I need to test under loaded conditions and try to recreate the problem.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #24994 by Desmond6004
If it misfires at idle I wouldn't consider needing to test under load as that important - because the fault is happening at idle already. Flooring the car on take-off might show up a weak spark if it gets a lot worse under those conditions - higher compression means it's harder for the spark to jump the gap and the spark finds an easier route. If a vehicle misfires a lot under idle I'd leave it idling for a while then pull out the spark plugs - maybe post a picture of them, that can give many clues.
Also, with a "cop" system someone showed me a trick - tap each coil with the handle of a screwdriver - sometimes if a transistor is breaking down this will make it happen when you tap it and show up the coil as faulty.
The other option is to remove the spark plugs and put them each in a different cylinder, taking note of their new positions, and also swap the coils around to different cylinders - then see if the fault moves with the spark plug, or the coil, or stays on the same cylinder which would mean it wasn't the spark plug or coil.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Desmond6004.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds