Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 ford explorer 4.0 sohc P0171

More
7 years 10 months ago #232 by jay.gill
My wife and I have a 2001 ford explorer 4.0 sohc with a p0171 code and I believe that's bank 1. I have already replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets. I now hear what sounds like an exhaust leak. Can a exhaust leak cause a lean code?

Thanks in the future. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #233 by ScannerDanner
If the exhaust leak is upstream or near the bank 1 oxygen sensor, then yes, it can cause a false lean condition

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 10 months ago #236 by Tyler
Hey Jay! Any chance you can look at scan data? Knowing what the O2 sensors and fuel trims are doing at different loads would go a long way towards diagnosing this code.

I think it's also worth saying that just because you have a bank one code, doesn't mean bank two is A-OK. It sometimes works out that both banks are running lean, but one bank happens to set a code before the other. Again, looking at fuel trims would help here.

Like Paul said, exhaust leaks are definitely a potential source of fuel trim issues. Just don't go nitpicking your exhaust too much - it's my experience that exhaust leaks needs to be pretty large in order to set lean codes.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #274 by Noah

Tyler wrote: Hey Jay! Any chance you can look at scan data? Knowing what the O2 sensors and fuel trims are doing at different loads would go a long way towards diagnosing this code.

I think it's also worth saying that just because you have a bank one code, doesn't mean bank two is A-OK. It sometimes works out that both banks are running lean, but one bank happens to set a code before the other. Again, looking at fuel trims would help here.

Like Paul said, exhaust leaks are definitely a potential source of fuel trim issues. Just don't go nitpicking your exhaust too much - it's my experience that exhaust leaks needs to be pretty large in order to set lean codes.

Here's a good video on the free channel that shows exactly what Tyler is talking about:

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Noah.

More
7 years 9 months ago #317 by busjockey1..
Can scan files be posted on here? That would give everyone a better chance on helping and understanding what his issue is. I"m new here so I don't know. I saw you can attach files at the bottom but what type?

The Diesel Nerd

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 9 months ago #329 by Noah
If you take a screenshot and save it as jpeg or png you could paste it right in.
I know some of the members of the forum were/are using scanshare.com and linking to there.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 9 months ago #332 by busjockey1..
Cool so am I.

The Diesel Nerd

More
7 years 9 months ago #333 by Tyler
Yeah, I use ScanShare whenever I can, great service!

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds