Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Honda Element MAP sensor pulling 5V down

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #24030 by HemiRick
Exact same problem as described here wrenchflix.com/scannerdanner-2005-honda-...study/#comment-40931

replaced engine w jap takeout and no start no comm, prob was traced back to MAP, swapping MAP makes no diff same problem......What's going on? I can't believe I have 2 bad MAP sensors...When MAP is unplugged it starts and runs. When plugged in 5v ref goes to 1.8 and nothing works....The original engine came in as no start from being badly overheated, no compression. I'm using the MAP from the orig engine and the jap takeout both do same thing....
Thanks for any ideas. I'm stumped ATM
Rick
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by HemiRick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #24041 by Chad
I would double check all of your connectors for the possibility of being plugged into the wrong component. Connectors are, usually, shaped to prevent this, but it is possible...and I have done it, before.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Chad.

More
5 years 7 months ago #24046 by Tyler
Did the wiring harness get changed out with the engine? Or, is this the harness that came with the vehicle? Mostly wondering if the pin assignments in the MAP connector are different between engines.

Working from what pole71 mentioned, can you confirm wire colors at the MAP connector? Yellow/red, green/red and green/white. Assuming it's the original harness. :silly:

If all that checks out, grab some voltage checks at the MAP sensor, KOEO plugged in and unplugged. All three wires. Let us know what you find. :cheer:

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #24057 by HemiRick
Original harness that came w the car, yes wire colors are as you describe. Voltages are all normal except when MAP is plugged in 5V v ref goes to 1.8V and nothing works....

It's fixed the TPS and the MAP use the same plugs and they were switched.
Rick
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by HemiRick.

More
5 years 7 months ago #24060 by Tyler
Hey, good to hear! :cheer: Understandable how those could get reversed, being the same connector style and how close the sensors are to each other.

Gotta remember that the next time I have the intake off a 2.4L. :lol:

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds