Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

range rover p38 4.6 bosch 5.2.1 non start condition

More
5 years 6 months ago #24028 by Kudu.123
Hi All, i have a P38 Range Rover 2000 v8 Bosch 5.2.1 with no start condition. wrong injection system was fitted but i have fitted all bosch components back onto the vehicle with original harness in tact. No faults exists in engine ecu. whats been checked is as follows: fuel pressure at 3.5 bar constant when cranking, getting good hall effect cam signal square wave form, getting constant crank signal although thinking the voltage is low at around 1.5v being a variable reluctor sensor. Getting trigger to fuel injector to ground, no1 cyl for my reference with cyl 1 pressure peak, but i think to little trigger for strong spark, all compression good at 8-9 bar. have done relative compression test and 7 are at the spec and one 15% below rest. all injectors tested and is firing. am getting spark but seems slightly weak at around 3kv when checking secondary voltage with Pico 4425. i am suspect that is a timing issue but there are no adjustments. have double checked air gap as per workshop manual. i am now starting to confuse myself in this diagnostic journey on this particular vehicle and its driving me nuts! all adaption values have been reset as per workshop manual when crank sensor gets moved but does not make a difference. I am looking for help and comments on my scoped attachement and guidance from the BEST. I am still novice on the scope but have learnt a stack from starting on this vehicle. Please help!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26675 by peter51
Its been a while - did you sort this out?

More
5 years 2 months ago #26780 by chief eaglebear
hi sir I want to try and help I am kind of a beginner myself but please label the traces and a better description of symptoms and conditions that exist with vehicle are there any codes if you have verified crank and cam circuit I guess we can start there do you have cam signal and do you have a crank signal and are they getting to computer

More
5 years 2 months ago #26789 by peter51
Can someone supply a good known CKP waveform please - I also have this model.
It is a 2000 Range Rover with a bosch motonic 5.2.1 ECM. I am attaching the capture for my same vehicle at idle - but I think the amplitude may be low - similar to that of the OP.
would be great if someone had a known good to compare.
Thanks
Attachments:

More
5 years 2 months ago #26790 by peter51
Attached also is the correct CMP CKP relationship from the bosch motronic manual and also the oscillopscope capture from my vehicle which is the same vehicle.
Still someone to post a good known CKP waveform to ensure the amplitude of thus CKP is correct at idle.
Attachments:

More
2 years 10 months ago #49547 by Kudu.123
hi seems my closure message did not post here, when the engine was changes the fitment garage did not know that there is different trigger wheel between Lucas EMS and Bosch, i replaced the Lucas trigger with Bosch trigger wheel and resolved the problem, running perfectly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Andy.MacFadyen

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 10 months ago #49555 by Noah
Thank you for posting the resolution of the problem!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds