Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1997 tercel no spark on 2&3

More
5 years 7 months ago #23863 by dcon53
I have a 97 tercel 5efe rebuilt the engine ran when pulled now no spark on #2&3 coil tested ignitor works no output from ecu for the 2&3 coil unplug crank sensor no spark on ether coil plug back in spark on 1&4 coil unplug cam sensor no change

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23864 by dcon53
Replied by dcon53 on topic 1997 tercel no spark on 2&3
For got to say I tried another ecu from junk yard same problem

More
5 years 7 months ago #23872 by Dave101
Replied by Dave101 on topic 1997 tercel no spark on 2&3
I'm assuming you didn't reprogram the ecm from the junkyard to the new car. I would put the other ecm back in and check pin #1 and #14 at the ecm to test for ecm output. You may be correct in diagnosing a bad ecm but the #2 &#3 cylinder use the same coil. If you have output at the ecm I would suggest checking at the igniter for input from ecm. If none, your looking for a broken wire.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23874 by Ninjaxchicken
The ecu talks to the ignitor on the igt wire with input from the cam and crank sensors.. you either have a shorted coil, bad igniter, or an open in the control wire going to the 2/3 coil pack from the igniter.. since 1/4 is sparking cam/crank are more than likely not the issue.. btw the crank sensor is there primarily for spark, the cam sensor is there for #1 tdc reference and fuel injector sequencing

More
5 years 7 months ago #23878 by dcon53
Yes checked pin 1 and 14. Pin 1 has output but 14 has no output

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #23880 by Ninjaxchicken
The igt wire is a pull up circuit if you have no signal on it coming from the computer take a test light to battery positive and touch on that wire to make sure its not being shorted to ground... i didnt realize this car had 2 igt wires going to the igniter
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Ninjaxchicken.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23912 by dcon53
No short but when it put test light from the wire that's not getting the signal I get spark at the coil so that tells me it's the computer. Am I right?????

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds