Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2003 Hyundai Elantra Fuel Leak

More
5 years 7 months ago #23566 by scarney
Hi,

I am working on a 2003 Hyundai Elantra with 195,000 miles. Here is the backstory: About a year ago, I replaced the fuel filler neck to fix a P0442 DTC. Additionally, when I filled the gas tank completely, I could smell fuel vapors. After the replacement, the EVAP code was gone and I no longer smelled fuel. Recently, when I filled the tank, I noticed the smell again. and the P0442 was back. I took a look underneath the car and noticed a clamp to an EVAP hose was broken, so I replaced it. I filled the tank the smell was gone. When I filled the tank the next time the smell of fuel was back. I looked under the car and this time I could actually see a little bit of fuel coming from the back top of the tank. It's hard to see in an actual picture, so I have attached a image of a new tank and indicated the source of the leak. I'm guessing ultimately I'm going to have to drop the tank. I'm a little nervous as I have never tried it before. I just wanted to see if anyone had some advice of what the repair might be. Will I need a new tank? From Hyundai, I can see a part called the Valve Assy-Fuel Vent with a part number 31155-2D500 that looks like it sits right above where the leak is.

It's a little strange to me because it seems like the smell is a bit intermittent. I'm assuming now the clamp fix didn't actually do anything and last time I filled the tank I just got lucky? I never the cleared the DTC but it never went away on its own either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23592 by TheTechWhisperer
Take out your back seat and there are access covers to get to the fuel pump from the top. Even if its not the fuel pump housing or gasket leaking, hook up a smoke machine, and that access port usually gives you enough room to get a light and mirror in there to see what's going on before you go dropping the tank.

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds