Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Backup Camera - Test if Bad

More
5 years 7 months ago #23434 by dkggpeters
I have a nonworking backup camera on a 2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5 in which shows as not being connected on the diagnostic screen on the Harman Kardon stereo/navigation unit. The camera has 4 wires in which one is 6 volt power, one is the video signal, one ground for power/video signal, and one ground which is shielded around the 3 wires. I hooked up the Vantage Pro to the power and get a 6 volt power signal for about one second while the unit is powering up and then it drops to zero volts. I get no signal over the video wire at any time. I am guessing the the unit supplies power to the camera and is looking for some confirmation of a video signal which is not happening so the power is cut off. I have not checked continuity on the wiring yet for the video signal and I do have continuity on the grounds. Since I do get power for a brief period of time when booting the system up, I am assuming that the power wire is fine.

I am thinking it is just a bad camera and was wondering if anybody knows of any tests to confirm this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23437 by Andy.MacFadyen
Any aftermarket hardwired backup cameras I have worked on 12v battery voltage from the reverse lights. To save wiring the co-axial video cable has a splitter at the rear and has 12v from the reverse light cluster piggy backed on top of the video signal a the front this another splitter with a red wire that goes the reverse wake-up terminal on the DIN connector at the back of the head unit.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 7 months ago #23438 by dkggpeters
This is not an aftermarket camera and was factory installed when we bought new. The navigation unit triggers the camera when you go into reverse. There is a test function on the unit and when the car is put into reverse the unit recognizes that it is in reverse and should trigger.

I just thought of something. I should check the unit to see if a signal is in fact sent out when I put the car into reverse to isolate if it is the unit or camera that is an issue. It just came to me as I was writing the first paragraph above.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds