Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2004 F-150 running rich: P0172/P0175

More
5 years 7 months ago #23418 by Tacitus043
Hi guys,

I have a customer with a 04 F-150 (5.4L 3v) that is running very rich and throwing P0172 and P0175. The engine runs slightly rough at idle but drives and cruises fine. I still need to figure out how to upload data graphs but here is some info I pulled from my scanner, as well as some tests I have performed.

-Fuel pressure PID is 40psi (confirmed with mechanical gauge). This particular system is returnless.
-LTFT's on both banks jump very quickly to -27 / -30 as soon as vehicle enters CL.
-Vacuum is 20in-hg at idle as well as 2500 RPM with no flutters or erratic needle movement
-MAF is ~6.5 g/s at idle
-BARO is 29 in-hg
-spark advance at idle is 15 degrees plus or minus 2
-back pressure measured at 02 sensor port less than 1psi at idle, as well as 2500 RPM
-compression is 200 psi across all cylinders

Before the customer brought the vehicle to me, the customer changed out all the oxygen sensors, plugs, and coils in an attempt to remedy the problem. This truck has me scratching my head so far, as I cannot put my finger on a particular part or system. I figured I would give a shout out to you guys and see if you had any advice on what diagnostic route I should take next. Thanks!

-Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23420 by BrianGee
If this has a vacuum controlled fuel damper I would pull the hose and check for fuel leakage getting sucked into the intake.

Do the LT fuel trims clear up at 2500 rpms?

More
5 years 7 months ago #23421 by chief eaglebear
hi not a lot of experience here I would do an amperage on the fuel pump see what that should be also a volume test on fuel pump might have a better idea of whats going on and also stft is important in relation to ltft so it would be good to know that to geta better picture of what happening ltft tends to be an integrator so something is knocking trims off but we need more info I think ben and tyler and graywave are really good

More
5 years 7 months ago #23422 by Tacitus043
LTFTs do zero out quickly as the engine is revved up. I did check the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure sensor and I did not notice any raw fuel being sucked through.

Also, I forgot to add, I did check to make sure the purge valve was not stuck open, it is operating correctly.

Thanks for the help guys!

More
5 years 7 months ago #23423 by cheryl hartkorn
what is the coolant temp sensor reading? also can you get the o2s to respond by making a vacuum leak?

More
5 years 7 months ago #23425 by Tacitus043
As far as I can tell, the ECU infers its data from a cylinder head temp sensor, rather than a conventional ECT. The cyl head temp sensor is reading ambient at startup, and moves smoothly to operating temp once the engine is running with no spikes or drop outs.

I'll create an artificial vacuum leak when I get in the shop tomorrow and let you know what the O2's do, thanks.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23426 by Matts Auto
Wouldn't hurt to check crankcase vacuum at pcv valve or valve cover breather. Possible internal vacuum leak

More
5 years 7 months ago #23429 by Tacitus043
I did disconnect and cap the vacuum line for the PCV to make sure it wasn't huffing fumes from the crank case and did not notice any change in the fuel trims.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #23431 by BrianGee
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by BrianGee.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #23432 by BrianGee
Removed for Alzheimer moment
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by BrianGee.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23435 by Bealio
Aren't positive trim numbers associated with vacuum leaks. We're seeing negative numbers according to Tacitus043.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23439 by BrianGee
Lol, yeah. Long day..

More
5 years 7 months ago #23440 by Tacitus043

BrianGee wrote: Lol, yeah. Long day..

No worries, I'm right there with you. I did check the intake gaskets and all the vacuum connections to the manifold and everything seems to be sealed very well.

Just some of my gut thoughts: when its idling it feels like a motor with the EGR valve stuck open, or severely retarded ignition timing. This particular motor uses them cam phasers to regulate EGR, however both cams seemed to be indexed perfectly relative to the crank. Maybe one of you Ford guys could chime in on some of the variable timing related PIDS; however the desired cam positon vs the actual cam positon are in agreement.

Also, could it be possible to have weak spark at idle, but be fine at high speeds and higher loads? In my experience the latter problems tend to be exaggerated with high loads.

I'm having to use a lot of my will power right now to resist throwing parts at this thing.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23443 by Bealio

Are the spark plugs fouled? Fuel soaked? Try an injector balance test.
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #23444 by Paul P.
Just some quick questions..

1. Does the Fuel Pressure drop on snap throttle?
2. Once in CL what are LTFT's @ idle, 1500, and 3500 rpm? Also, are both banks identical or different? ( Do the trims go positive as rpm is increased?)
3. On snap throttle does your Vac guage return to 20 in HG quickly or slowly?
4. On snap throttle, what is the highest g/s the MAF can achieve?
5. Do you smell raw, unburnt fuel at the tailpipe?
6. What are your MAP PID values at idle, 1500 and 3500 rpm?
7. What are your CALC Load values at idle, 1500 and 3500 rpm?

If you scan tool has Bi-directional control, command the EGR to open at idle, engine should stall.

Never stop Learning.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23449 by Dave101
I agree with Weycraze.
Just make sure there are no vacuum leaks on the engine. I've had the back of the intake leak cause me problems such as this before.

More
5 years 6 months ago #23509 by Seeger3
I would recommend a closer look at maf sensor - 6 grams at idle fully warmed up is a little high ... Not way out of spec but since nothing else is suspect I would start there. With negative fuel trims you are not looking for vacuum leak. O2 sensor when it sees a vacuum leak (extra oxygen in exhaust) it will add fuel to compensate so u will see high fuel trim not negative. May start with cleaning maf.

More
5 years 6 months ago #23525 by Paul P.
I agree Seeger3 , MAF does seem a tad high at idle.

Never stop Learning.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26720 by Tacitus043
Time to resurrect this thread with some updates:

-After some more digging around, I found that the intake manifold runner control actuator was hooked up backwards. Since the runners are supposed to be in the "choked" position at idle, I thought it was a bit of a red herring, but hooked it back up the correct way anyways. This did not seem to affect anything.

-I was able to find a small hairline crack in the right side exhaust manifold (replaced manifold).

-The pigtail on the cylinder head temp sensor in the valley was barley making contact and showed very high resistance, even though the engine temp PID on my scan tool showed everything was fine. I repaired the connection (I thought for sure I had nailed the problem).

-The Cylinder contribution test on my scan tool shows number 8 contributing 10% less than the others at idle, however no misfire codes are set. There is still a slight stumble at idle, but no misses at loads or higher RPM's. Nothing jumped out at me when I scoped voltage and current wave forms on the #8 coil and injector. They also looked identical to other cylinders.

-My original MAF report was not when fully warmed up, when fully warmed up g/s is below 6 and voltage is at .9-1.0. My Shopkey program says idle voltage should be .7-1.0, (I did go ahead and clean the MAF anyway)

-In response to some of Weycraze's questions: LTFT's do get higher (better) with more RPM. At idle they will be in the mid negative 20's, at 1500 RPM they will go into the negative teens, and at 2500 and high closer to negative 10. Bank 2 is always about 2 points more rich than bank 1.

-Vac will quickly return to 20 in hg after throttle snap. Back pressure measurements at the primary 02 port didn't even register on the gauge. (less than 1 psi).

-I also checked the battery voltage at the PCM, battery itself, and injectors. Battery voltage at the PCM vs the battery matched within a hundredth of a volt. Supply at the injectors was within 3 hundredths of a volt.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Tacitus043. Reason: more info

More
5 years 2 months ago #26804 by Tacitus043
I drove it around some more today, LTFT's still in the -20's on both banks. It does seem a bit low on power, almost like a plugged exhaust, however back pressure test and manifold vacuum show otherwise. Fuel trims do get better under load.

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds