Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

'07 Acura RDX stalls when you step on the brake?

More
5 years 8 months ago #23259 by Tyler
Yeah, like the title says. :lol: Customer says he'll start the car, step on the brake, and instant stall. At some point it happened so consistently that it got towed in.

That was last week. Other tech couldn't reproduce it, vehicle left. Towed in again yesterday, and it drove off the flat bed like nothing happened. :silly: Now it's my problem. To be clear, I don't know if the driver is shifting into reverse/drive when the stall happens, or if it's strictly related to the brake pedal. Just getting an accurate symptom description was tough enough.

Slow day today, so I'll have time to experiment and check back. Hit me with your wildest theories!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #23267 by steve
Weird one, is there any faults stored?
Wonder if there is some damaged wiring somewhere that is being shorted to battery + by the brake light circuit
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by steve.

More
5 years 8 months ago #23270 by Tyler
Sheesh, I'm not paying attention today. :silly: No codes anywhere.

It's interesting you mentioned the brake circuit, 'cause I was digging in the SI for... anything? And found this:

Why would the brake switch factor in? :huh: For the lights, sure. The ABS would care. It's not a push button start.
Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #23280 by Tyler
I thought about that, so I watched fuel trims when applying the brakes, no issue.

Got more details from the customer. :cheer: Turns out that before the vehicle stalls, the charging system message comes up on the dash. Occasionally the charging system message comes up without the engine stalling. But when it stalls, the charging system message is involved.

Is the charging system the problem, or a symptom? I did notice that the alternator is never commanded to low charge rate like most Honda/Acura vehicles will do under cruise conditions.

More
5 years 8 months ago #23285 by Chad
Oh, the Joy of Intermittents. My first thought was the brake booster, as well.

I thought about that, so I watched fuel trims when applying the brakes, no issue.

Were you able to reproduce the fault?

The first post says -

Customer says he'll start the car, step on the brake, and instant stall.

Then,

Turns out that before the vehicle stalls, the charging system message comes up on the dash. Occasionally the charging system message comes up without the engine stalling.

This makes me question the "instant".

My second thought was a momentum change. This is assuming that the stall comes from hitting the brake while driving, of course. Something shorting out as weight shifts. Bad motor mount causing a harness to be pinched?

Hopefully, you'll be able to reproduce the fault and get some better direction.

Good Luck!;)

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 years 8 months ago #23287 by Tyler
Yeah, I was getting conflicting reports about the symptoms. :angry: Multiple service writers are involved at this point, so that kind of thing is bound to happen.

I like the idea of something shifting or getting pinched. I hadn't tried power braking the engine yet, so I'll do that tomorrow.

No fault has happened to me so far. 30ish miles today.

More
5 years 8 months ago #23332 by Tyler
No luck before I left work, had to hand it over before leaving for a long weekend. :( I'll report back next week when I go back to work.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23604 by Tyler
Finally got the afterward on this one. :blush: Nothing ever came of my boss driving it around, eventually gave it back to the customer. Haven't seen it back since.

Intermittent issues are my worst enemy. :angry:

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds