Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3l petrol cam/crank misalignment

More
5 years 9 months ago #22608 by thegrandvoyager
Have replaced the broken flexplate with genuine part from Chrysler dealer. Started perfectly first try and ran thru all the gears up to highway speed and over 5000 RPM. As soon as it reached operating temp the check engine light came on with P0016. Replaced both sensors and restarted. Exactly the same scenario worked great until warmed up and then up pops the cel. Connected up the scope and found a misalignment of 5.90 degree. I've had some great help from members on this subject so thought a new thread is appropriate as it may attract more attention. I pulled the inspection plate and did all the checks I could do of the flexplate using a scope and apart from separating the transmission I am at a loss. It beggars disbelief that the flexplate is faulty. it matched up with the old one and is the correct part#. It's the warming up that confuses me. I gather the timing is advanced during warm up and as soon as operating temp is reached and the engine drops to 800RPM up comes the cel. Does anyone know if the engine management needs reflashing after new flexplate and sensors. Or, can the timing be adjusted through the scanner to bring it back into parameters to cure the misalignment?
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22633 by Tyler
Just to be clear, did you get that 5.9 degree number from the scanner? Or did you actually scope both cam and crank sensors, comparing to a known good?

5.9 doesn't sound that bad... I don't recall what the set criteria is for the P0016, but I'm pretty sure it's more than that. I can look through some known good examples when I get home.

I seem to remember seeing a CMP/CKP Resync option on the scanner, but never had to use it. If you haven't tried already, disconnect the battery cables and short them together for about 15 minutes. It's free, and worth a try. :silly: If anyone else has access to another 3.3L Caravan, maybe they can confirm the scanner resync option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thegrandvoyager

More
5 years 9 months ago #22640 by thegrandvoyager
thanks for your reply Tyler. We scoped both the sensors and got the 5.9
the plan for today is to scope them from the ECU and see if we get the same result. Unfortunately we don't have another vehicle with the NGC to scope and compare a good waveform. I can't find any reason for it not throwing the code until it warmed up. once it's warm I can clear the code and it reappears as soon as I start up???
Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22641 by thegrandvoyager
thanks Tyler, I did connect both terminals together for about 30 minutes but it did not help with the situation

More
5 years 9 months ago #22648 by thegrandvoyager
Hello members
I have attached the cam/crank waveform and would appreciate any comments from members to what they see
Attachments:

More
5 years 9 months ago #22650 by Tyler
I compared your capture to the Chrysler known good waveform, and I'm pretty sure the relationship is good.

www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/technic...signal-relationships

It looks to me like the peaks in the crank signal are inconsistent? :unsure: I'd normally suspect a scope issue, but the CMP trace doesn't show the same problem. Would you be able to retake this capture on a lower voltage scale? With the engine warmed up and the code setting, preferably.

While you're there, indulge me and try disconnecting the alternator? I've seen shorted field windings cause CKP and CMP signal errors and relationship codes on other Chrysler products. The easiest way to eliminate this is to unplug the field connector. If it doesn't change anything, forget I mentioned it. :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thegrandvoyager

More
5 years 9 months ago #22656 by thegrandvoyager
Thanks Tyler,
I plan to follow up your suggestion today. I have uploaded a link to a youtube of the waveform for more clarity

More
5 years 9 months ago #22674 by thegrandvoyager
I have posted a youtube video of the cam/crank waveform and would appreciate members views on what they see.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 9 months ago #22686 by Noah
I went ahead and merged your latest thread with the one you've already got going.
Having multiple threads pertaining to the same issue not only yields fewer responses, but only makes the case more confusing for people trying help and for people researching in the future.

No harm done, just try to keep it all as organized as possible :)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 9 months ago #22698 by thegrandvoyager

Time to create page: 0.321 seconds