Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2011 Cadillac SRX 3.0 DI Engine

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #22604 by JoesAutoElectric
Hello everyone! I was hoping to get some help for a system I am not very familiar with. As the title says, it is a Cady with the 3.0 DI engine. It is from a used car lot and has had some work done in house by them before coming to us. They had a noise int he front cover which they decided was a chain slap problem. They replaced ALL of the timing components from the dealer. They also changed the o2 sensors on the vehicle. Now I have been led astray by this place in the past so i take nothing at face value. I scanned it after they told me the o2 codes are the ones they cannot get rid of. Only codes we have int his thing are rich on both banks. Fuel trims are -40% on long term and -15% on short term. Now, I have done an injector balance test through the scan tool, but I am not sure how to decipher the information. In the shop manual they want you to do some math leaving out the "cylinder that you think is misfiring", but this has nothing counting on misfire counter. The thing runs like garbage and has no power. It is obviously pulling fuel due toa rich condition. I did check the fuel pressure through the scan data and low side is around 60psi at idle while the high side was around 290- 370psi commanded and desired matched at all times. When I shut the thing off I noticed the in tank pump pressure dropped to 45psi and was down to about 35 within a minute or so. Is this telling me that I have a leak? High side pressure seemed to hold. I am just not familiar enough to make a call here. If I have a leaking injector would I not see this high side drop? If any of you have an idea here on what I should be checking for, I would appreciate the input. I was thinking they did something wrong installing the timing components, but then I should have a code for that. I don't...Need some direction on this pig of a motor. Thanks for any thoughts.

"The man who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it."
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by JoesAutoElectric.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22611 by cj1
Replied by cj1 on topic 2011 Cadillac SRX 3.0 DI Engine
Can you post the MAF g/s readings.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22612 by JoesAutoElectric
4.3 g/s @idle

More
5 years 9 months ago #22613 by Chad
Is this a Flex-Fuel?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 years 9 months ago #22615 by cj1
Replied by cj1 on topic 2011 Cadillac SRX 3.0 DI Engine
Don't know if this engine follows the standard 1g/s per l at idle.
If so it reads higher than normal which would cause PCM to subtract fuel.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22618 by JoesAutoElectric
II was thinking that as well, but this thing is at -40% on both banks. I tried disconnecting the MAF to see if it goes into a limp mode and corrects, which is does not. Not sure if that test is reliable however. This is a flex fuel and alcohol content is 0.
I am trying to find a known good cam crank waveform, but have found only one and not sure it is correct or not. I noticed that if I hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the port, it will hold at about 60psi and then drop to about 45 in a minute or so. not sure if this is a problem. Wish there was some way to verify the high pressure side of things is in order. These engines suck.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22623 by cheryl hartkorn
what does the vvt data read? such as cam variation degrees? should read 0.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22624 by Chad
What are your Oxygen sensors doing? Can you induce a lean condition?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #22625 by JoesAutoElectric
Well can't upload the files. says it exceeds the maximum size...I give up.

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by JoesAutoElectric.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22631 by JoesAutoElectric

So after sending the files to Brandon Steckler, he was able to prove wea re indeed 10 degrees off on timing. Can never have enough knowledge or friends in this business. I appreciate the help from you guys as well and wanted to share what we came up with here. Now, I am unsure if this engine has another issue or not. They were trying to fix this vehicle by putting the chain on it. Now, they may have simply caused another problem on top of the original one. As for now we are done with it. He will have his tech attempt to set the timing chain up properly and see where it goes from there. If there is still a problem after, I am certain it will be back.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds