Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Intermittent

More
5 years 8 months ago #22319 by JoesAutoElectric
Guys, not looking for miracles here but curious if anyone has seen something similar on one of these. The truck would not crank for the owner the other day. Towed in with him thinking it was a faulty battery. Noticed right away it was in theft. So, scan test and get a U1197 as well as a P0882 and P0121multiple modules. Attempted to clear codes and the U1197 stayed. Found battery cables loose. Tightened cables and vehicle went in to start making some other checks and the truck started up. No codes. so road tested it and let it sit for a while. Started back up without any problem. Note this is a vehicle we service regularly and have been since new. So with that said I tell him to take it and try it. Next day truck won't start again. Towed in with a U1197 and again while hooking up my scope to the circuit for the run relay the truck starts. Now, I touched nothing but the battery cable the first time it happened and it started so trying not to jump to conclusions about a relay or connection issue just yet. The truck has been with me the last two days and has not one given me a problem, including this morning. No codes and no trouble. Does anyone have any ideas on this thing? I am thinking TIPM is failing...but it is a 1000.00 and I am not looking to guess here. Thanks as always for any input or ideas. One more thing. The vehicle has two keys available and trying either did not change anything.

"The man who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30263 by WKYKaren
Hello,

My 2013 Dodge Carvan is doing the exact thing you just mentioned. Were you able to determine the cause and fix for this? Thanks!

More
4 years 10 months ago #30264 by chief eaglebear
hi sir I am a beginner but a little more detail might help i.e. a breakdown of code setting criteria for each specific code for that make and which module is not communicating and did you check powers and ground on everything to rule out loose circuits which can cause com problems and a good check on crank sensor circuit which is the culprit sometimes on intermittent starts and if you can post any pertinent schematics thank you

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #30267 by John Curtis
What is the exact model?
What tests have you done?
I’ve included an attachment you might use for direction.
I’d be concerned with the WIN. Verify power on the circled fuse.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by John Curtis.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30311 by WKYKaren
We've checked just about everything we can check on our own. Taking it to a Dodge dealer tomorrow for a diagnostic check. The biggest issue is they said they can't diagnose it unless it's having a problem. Sometimes it starts like a top, other times takes 3 or 4 tries. So aggravating.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30312 by WKYKaren
It's a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. The codes showing up are U0121, U1197 and B1A28.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30328 by Joes Auto Electric
The problem on ours was the TIPM, which I suspected, but had to prove it. Just took some time to get to the point of it not starting and catching it.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30334 by WKYKaren
We've had two or three people say it's probably the TIPM. We'll find out I guess this week, already dreading a big repair bill. Thanks for the information!

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds