Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 Camry no spark

More
7 years 7 months ago #2754 by Rukerin
1996 Camry no spark was created by Rukerin
I have a 96 Camry with no spark , I did a bypass test on the igniter and I can make the coil spark , but cranking I have no signal on the white wire. I measured the pickup and had good resistance . And have signal on 1 of the crank sensor wires but the other one has ground always ! Is that normal ground ?? Or probably a short?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2767 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 1996 Camry no spark
Just for my info, which engine are you working with, sir?

So one of the CKP wires shows a good waveform, but the other shows 0V all the time? Sounds like a failed CKP to me. Did you resistance test the CKP sensor, or the pickup in the distributor?

When you did the bypass test, you used a test light to B+ on the white wire? Just making sure I understand your testing :)
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Tyler.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2771 by Rukerin
Replied by Rukerin on topic 1996 Camry no spark
5s-FE is the engine . And yes Mr Tyler I did the bypass with the test light to B+ on the white wire of the igniter and actually got shocked :( jajaja but was happy I got spark and got the igniter and coil out of the way . The CKP I had the normal ac waveform on the red wire and on the green I had just 0v and tried giving it 12v with the test light while looking at the oscilloscope and the test light turned on but the oscilloscope stayed at 0v kind of weird result. Thanks Tyler! When I get home I will post the wiring diagram and draw where I was connected !

More
7 years 7 months ago #2776 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic 1996 Camry no spark
Check for injector pulse next and tell us if you have it or not.

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 7 months ago #2777 by Rukerin
I had no injector pulses Mr Danner . Here is the wiring diagram where I did the bypass test. And where i got the crank waveforms. Thanks!

Attachments:

More
7 years 7 months ago #2778 by ScannerDanner
Nice job so far! Check for a 5v reference on one of your main sensors next.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2779 by Rukerin
I did check for 5v Ref on the Map sensor and at the Tps and both have a good 5v ref . One thing I forgot to say I did actually disconnect the computer harness and had no more ground on that wire.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2780 by ScannerDanner
Completely normal to have one side of a VRS grounded inside the computer. You need to check the VRS signal wire at the PCM next. Also give us the amplitude of the signal during the test.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2781 by Rukerin
So both the crank sensor and the pick up at the distributor are VRS and share the ground ?! It makes sense to me :) . I will post the waveform with the amplitude of the waveform. Thanks a lot! I actually learn a lot every time I have a car that I can't fix , this forum is the best school I ever had.

More
7 years 6 months ago #2787 by ScannerDanner

Rukerin wrote: So both the crank sensor and the pick up at the distributor are VRS and share the ground ?! It makes sense to me :)

Exactly and that ground is internal to the ECM. Some VR sensors will use a floating ground and others will use a constant ground. One key piece here is when you see two different VR sensors sharing a wire/circuit, you can be sure that it is a constant ground.

More
7 years 6 months ago #3032 by Rukerin
I apologize to everyone trying to help me on this car , but I lost the job . I was actually working at the customers house and i wasn't able to make it to his house and he got someone else to fix his car . Sorry :(

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds