Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L P0988 & P0888 (Trans In Limp Mode)

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #21927 by James200400
Hello all, hopefully someone can help with this problem.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 99 4.7L and the transmission is in Limp Mode.

I'll explain a little about my problem, after getting up to speed one day on the highway I felt a lunge from the vehicle. After the lunge the RPMs went up from maybe 1500 to 2200 and the check engine light came on. The vehicle feels sluggish and doesn't take off from a stop very well (have to give it more gas) I'm thinking perhaps it is stuck in 3rd gear. Once I was at home I used my OBDII reader to check the codes from the check engine light, and the codes it gave me are P0988 and P0888. I'm not sure where to look to first, I did poke around looking for broken wires/bad grounds. I didn't see anything really obvious though...

Any help would be appreciated, before I throw a part at this problem. :lol:
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by James200400. Reason: codes not in subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #21943 by RobertoLansky
i.imgur.com/zHfK4Or.jpg

I would check to see if that darn thing has power or not.

Is your Fuse #5 (30A) Okay?
i.imgur.com/oTCS6N7.jpg

Check for power on the red line after you find power on the green line (relay integrity) -- see image.

EDIT: Don't forget to check your ground too. Looks like on the Transmission Solenoid / TRS Assembly it's grounded on the case / housing so touch a test light connected to battery positive on the housing of that thing.

On the Transmission Control Module, check the BLK/YEL wires on pin 37, 39 and 57 for good constant ground there.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by RobertoLansky.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds