Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Saturn Vue 2003 3.0 Misfire

More
5 years 10 months ago #21593 by dkggpeters
I have a 2003 Saturn Vue 3.0L FWD which had a P0303 code and is definitely misfiring but does smooth out at higher RPM's over 2,000. I scoped the cylinders in Bank 1 and have the below waveforms which are consistent with the P0303 code. It is impossible to swap coils or get direct access to them to verify if the coil is bad as they are located under the plenum and are part of a bank of 3 COP's.

If I am reading the waveforms correctly, it appears that the coil has a short in the Primary due to the beginning hump and the Spark Plug is shorted out due to no spark line after the spark event. At higher RPM's the spark line does start to appear (Waveforms below were at idle.). Since the entire Plenum has to be removed just to get to the coils, I wanted to confirm that my analysis is correct that it is indeed a bad COP.

If I do replace then I will replace both Coil Banks and all spark plugs since it is labor intensive to just get to them and there is 168K miles on the car.

Misfiring Cylinder #3 Waveform

Good Cylinder Waveform
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21595 by ScannerDanner
That is not a shorted primary winding, it is a shorted secondary. Either way, change the coil AND the plug if it lives under the intake. Nice captures!

Don't be a parts changer!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds