Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Sudden Extreme Oil Consumption -- sanity check

More
7 years 7 months ago #2446 by Andy.MacFadyen
2012 Peugeot 208 3 cylinder 1.2 VT-I ex-rental but relatively low mileage that has suddenly developed EXTREME high oil consumption shortly following a service by a well known UK national multi-franchise dealership chain, engine is other wise fine. The same dealer is asking £100 to connect it to the "machine".
A quick inspection in my local supermarket carpark shows no engine bay oil leaks, no smoke from the exhaust but the exhaust tail pipe is actually wet with oil. Engine is running remarkable evenly, removing the oil filler cap shows distinct vacuum in cam cover. I will see the car again early this week so I am planning ahead.
My thinking is it is not piston ring or valve guide oil seal related have gut feeling it is likely a PCV problem, so I will probably not do a leak down or compression test but might do a First Look pressure pulse test on the crankcase.
I am no big fan of French cars so don't know Peugeot PCV systems and there is no sensible chat on the web about the subject.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #2450 by Dylan
Hey Andy. Think you're on the right track. Toyota also has a 3 cylinder 1.0 VVT-i which you can also find in some Peugeots. These are known for high oil consumption and the big player is a faulty PCV valve. We used to replace them and it was much better afterwards. But I also must say that I've opened quite a few blocks.

More
7 years 6 months ago #2469 by Tyler
Agreed, chase the crankcase vacuum issue first before going into mechanical stuff. I don't have any French car experience (thankfully?), but we do run into Chevrolet 1.4L and 1.8L engines with PCV problems and 20" inHg vacuum the crankcase. Super lean fuel trims, smoke like crazy. The PCV system is integral to the valve cover and intake manifold, in those cases.

Please post up an FLS waveform if you end up taking one! Though, I'd be tempted to keep it simple and use a good ol' vacuum gauge first.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21909 by Frasers
Hello,

I know this thread was from a long time ago, but hopefully the OP will still be around. I'd like to ask if you ever did find a solution to the oil consumption and if it was the pcv valve? Thanks for your time

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds