Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

98 Accord no start.

More
5 years 11 months ago #21411 by Bigfoote13
Hi all, I have this 98 Honda Accord that doesn't start. It has good spark at the coil inside the distributor. the distributor cap and rotor all ohmed out okay but no spark coming out of the cap or through the wires to the spark plugs. Seems really weird but why would it not produce any spark out the cap when everything inside is okay? Like I said the coil inside produces a nice healthy yellow Spark. Has no codes and I do get an RPM signal. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks. Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #21424 by The Auto Tech
Replied by The Auto Tech on topic 98 Accord no start.
How does the rotor look? Have you confirmed spark coming from the rotor or directly at the coil?

More
5 years 11 months ago #21426 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic 98 Accord no start.

Bigfoote13 wrote: Hi all, I have this 98 Honda Accord that doesn't start. It has good spark at the coil inside the distributor. the distributor cap and rotor all ohmed out okay but no spark coming out of the cap or through the wires to the spark plugs. Seems really weird but why would it not produce any spark out the cap when everything inside is okay? Like I said the coil inside produces a nice healthy yellow Spark. Has no codes and I do get an RPM signal. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks. Doug

How far of a gap will the spark jump when testing it right at the coil? It should jump almost an inch

Don't be a parts changer!

More
5 years 11 months ago #21427 by Bigfoote13
Replied by Bigfoote13 on topic 98 Accord no start.
Hey thanks for your reply. I haven't checked the rotor yet haven't taken it off yet but I will today. And I was actually thinking of you Paul when I was doing that. It jumps plenty far. I guess the rotor can direct the spark down to the distributor shaft if it's burned through.
Doug

More
5 years 11 months ago #21431 by Bigfoote13
Replied by Bigfoote13 on topic 98 Accord no start.
So it was the rotor. Even though it showed no signs of arcing through put on a new rotor and it runs great. Learn something everyday, thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds