Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L engine start/stall [FIXED]

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #2399 by rdhays99
I am having an issue with a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L. The truck will start some of the time but upon a snap throttle test it stalls and will not start again for quite a while. I have checked cam sensor, crank sensor square waves, they are both there but can't fine any diagrams on correct correlation of the two. Also, the truck has coil and injector control. Injector and coils all have power when PCM has RPM signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Noah.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2403 by ScannerDanner
What is fuel psi when it won't start? Also what is the ECT showing? Any fault codes?

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2413 by rdhays99
Fuel PSI is around 42 PSI, i am not sure of ECT reading right this moment. I will have to recheck it this morning. Also, when the engine stalls, I loose scan data at that moment. The customer purchased a reman PCM that came preprogrammed. Conditions are the same with the old and replacement PCM.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by rdhays99.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2426 by cheryl hartkorn
you lose scan data when it stalls? next time it does that check the 5 volt reference. might have a sensor pulling down the voltage.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2818 by rdhays99
Sorry for the delay in response. I looked at this truck again yesterday and found 45 PSI fuel pressure, ECT temp of 85 F. When the stall occurs there is no loss of 5v ref.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2821 by cheryl hartkorn
we are losing something, check for spark when it happens again and injector pulse

More
7 years 7 months ago #2839 by The Auto Tech
Are you losing all communication to the ecm when it stalls?

More
7 years 7 months ago #2842 by rdhays99
I am losing momentary scan data at the time of engine stall. then it comes right back but wen you try to start the truck it has data until the stall and then data is lost for that moment.

• Chriscoy
  • Heavy duty truck technician / foreman/ parts guy/
More
7 years 7 months ago #2853 by Chriscoy
I've run into this same symptom on a 2000 Durango with the 4.7 and the fix for me was a new TPS. I tore my hair out for a while trying to figure out what the problem was. It was running fine and out of nowhere it would stall. No rhyme or reason to it.

Finally I saw the TPS sensor glitching from about .75 volts up to 1.2 and as low as .4. It would stall and I'd loose coms.

Swapped it out and it was fixed.

Changing parts is easy, Troubleshooting is an art

More
7 years 4 months ago #4491 by rdhays99
Sorry for the long delay on an update on this truck. The PCM the customer purchased from Ebay was a remanufactured unit. I ordered a Chrysler remanufactured PCM, flashed the PCM and all is good now. According to my local Dodge dealer, the PCM for this truck was used on a 2002 model year only. I hate when people get Ebay parts, they may fit but not function correctly. Thanks for everyone's input on this truck that had me at my wits end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 4 months ago #4494 by Noah
Thanks for posting the fix on this one!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds