Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2003 Toyota Camry V6 A/C

More
5 years 11 months ago #21343 by ShrimplyPibbs
I have a 2003 Toyota Camry V6 and the AC light is flashing when I turn it on. Clutch relay has already been replaced following the procedure in the TSB. The odd thing that happens is when I first get in the car and try to turn the AC on the light flashes but after the engine has been running for a few minutes the AC turns on and works perfectly. Any tips on where I should take my diagnosis from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #21347 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2003 Toyota Camry V6 A/C
I think I'd start by monitoring voltage on the compressor clutch power feed during those first few minutes after startup when the clutch isn't engaging. The compressor is down low on the 3.0L, so you may need to find that same wire further up the harness and tap in for testing purposes. If you've got 12V, or a test light that shines brightly when connected to B-, then you know the wiring is good up until that point.

With 12V to the clutch and no engagement, you're likely looking at a bad clutch field coil or a clutch with excessive air gap. Either one will cause the A/C lock sensor to produce no signal and report to the ECM that the compressor isn't spinning.

Now, if the clutch actually engages during those first few minutes and shuts right off again, then that'd suggest a problem with the lock sensor itself. That's a different test, so let us know what you're seeing and we can go from there.

For anyone else following along, there's an excellent Premium series on this Toyota/Lexus lock sensor system. Check it out:

www.scannerdanner.com/scannerdanner-prem...dGEiLCJ0b3lvdGEncyJd
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
5 years 11 months ago #21385 by ShrimplyPibbs
Thank you for the info! I’ll post what I find after I perform the test this weekend.

More
5 years 11 months ago #21405 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 2003 Toyota Camry V6 A/C

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds