Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1990 F150 sticking starter

More
5 years 10 months ago #20935 by 95Volvo940/90F150-4.9
Hello all.
I have a weird one here. I have a 1990 Ford F150 4.9 5speed that was sitting for a while. I drove it for a couple weeks but the starter kept sticking, and it would keep going after I took the key out. I could get it to stop after messing with the key for a bit.
Recently, it stuck as I was leaving my friend's house, and it would not stop. I had to disconnect the battery cable. It had been going probably more than a minute.
When I came back the next day, there was no power in the cab, no dome light, the key does nothing, no buzzing, nothing. Even while getting a jump, no power. I replaced the solenoid since it had been smoking from going so long. I jumped the terminals on the starter solenoid and the starter turns over fine.
I don't have much knowledge of vehicle electronics, it confuses me. Possibly I connected something wrong, but I would assume that something burned out to make everything stop getting power. One 30 amp fuse under the dash is melted, although it still seems to have a connection in the middle. The fuse box melted slightly with the fuse. I haven't had the truck long so it may have already been like that. The guy who sold it to me was a real idiot. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #20979 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 1990 F150 sticking starter
Given the age of that truck, I'd probably start looking for burned fusible links. They'll likely to be ahead of the fuse box, closer to the battery. The links will look somewhat like wires, but will bend over too easily if they're burnt.

A quick survey of the fuses in the box would be a good idea, too. With the key on, use a test light or DMM and verify you have power at most of the fuses, and also have power on both sides of the fuse. That'll show if those fuses are getting powered, and if they're blown or not.

While you're looking around, double check your connections at the starter relay and the battery. Nothing fancy, just make sure they're right and reasonably clean. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds