Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

blown head gasket check

More
5 years 11 months ago #20654 by Zakarya Al-Yafei
Hello every1
I have mercedes 1993 320E
I want to check if I have a blown head gasket
anyone know how to check blown head gasket without chemical tester or emission gas tester cus I don't have any of these
I saw a video for Paul Danner explaining how to check it by relative compression but I don't remember what was the subject
anyone can assist me please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20655 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:blown head gasket check
Here you go.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zakarya Al-Yafei

More
5 years 11 months ago #20660 by Zakarya Al-Yafei
Thank you soo much
I watched this video and it was useful for me
But I still interested to know how to determine a blown head gasket by relative compression waveform ...

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20669 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:blown head gasket check
No problem. The only way I can think of would be to know the firing order and watch for two peaks to be off next to each other since the two cylinders could both be losing compression. I'm not sure if this is a 100% determining test though. I wouldn't count soley on those results but maybe I'm missing something.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Tutti57.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20704 by Andy.MacFadyen
There is no real catch all test for a blown head gasket, head gaskets can fail in different ways. For a relative compression test or any kind of compression test to show a bad gasket it would have to be a major failure. Of the tests available the most likely to give a reliable result is gas testing the coolant tank but that only works where cylinder gas is leaking into the coolant. A lot of the cylinder head gasket failures I have seen on modern "open deck" engines are coolant leaking in to the oil side or oil leaking into the coolant. Leaks between adjacent cylinders are rare although some old style closed deck engines with "siamesed" bores did suffer from it the old Austin/MG A series 4 cylinder was known for it between cylinders 2 & 3. Calling a head gasket failure boils down to experience, if there is mysterious water loss then I would always do a cold pressure test for coolant leaks first.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 11 months ago #20751 by Dave101
Replied by Dave101 on topic blown head gasket check
If I suspect a blown head gasket, I use a relative compression test as a guide. If the relative compression test shows me a low cylinder, I then to a compression test with a gauge. You can also perform a cylinder leak down test if you need to distinguish if its valve, rings or gasket. I agree with Andy, if I have low water, I do a pressure test of the coolant system. If I can't find an external water leak fairly quickly, I look really close at the head gasket.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds